Chapter 5: The Dream

The interpretation of dreams is the royal road to a knowledge of the unconscious activities of the mind.

-Sigmund Freud

Enzo Fiorenza's POV

"Why are you hiding here?" I said to the woman sitting on a bench serenely looking at the calm ocean before her.

"I'm not hiding here. I'm just thinking that's all." She said I couldn't see her face well due to the bright sunlight. I sat on the bench next to her and we both stared at the picturesque scenery of our surroundings.

"Nothing beats the rustic charm of Ragusa, don't you think?" I remarked, stretching my long legs before me enjoying the view. "Even if I am wherever part of the world at the end of the day this place still what I call my home as much as I want to forget this godforsaken place..."

I suddenly sat up from my bed as I gasped for air. What was that? I asked myself silently. I placed my hand in my throbbing head trying to remember if that's a dream or fragments of my memory. But the most important question is who that girl in my dream was?

What's wrong with me? Why I can't remember who I am? I closed my eyes trying to recall what had happened after that. Do I need to sleep again so maybe I could see what would happen next? Yeah, right who am I kidding as if that would be possible?

I glanced at the window and I notice that it was already morning throwing my feet off the bed I force myself I get up. I took a quick shower and get dressed I need to clear my head. I went to the kitchen to fix myself a cup of coffee to start my day.

That's why I decided to go outside and find something to keep me busy.

I found a man arranging stacks of timber on the side of the corral. I slowly approached him. "Hey, need a hand?"

The man looked at me with surprise in his eyes. "Oh...you are the guy—"

I extended my hand in his direction. "Neon."

"Neon?" He inquired with a mocking smile on his face. "As in Neon 'Lights'?"

I threw a foul looked and felt slightly irritated by the smile on his face right now. I felt slightly defensive. "Yeah, Willow temporarily gave me that name."

"Sorry." He said clearly trying himself from laughing out loud. He took the offered hand and shook it briefly. "I am Jace Strome."

I nodded at the timber he's working with and repeated my earlier question. "Do you need a hand?"

He gave me a head-to-toe look as if he doesn't believe that I could help him. The sardonic smile was still placed on his face. "Do you know how to fix the fence?"

I shrugged casually. "How hard can it be?"

"All right, there's a hammer and concrete nails at the back of the pickup truck and you can get my extra safety gloves there then start fixing the fence around the corral area."

I placed my cup of instant coffee on the side since it taste bland and follow his instruction and start fixing the cracked fence on the corral area removing the rotten wood. I aligned the new timber horizontally and start hammering on the wooden post.

I noticed Jace was looking at me with an amused expression. "You're quite good at this. I never expect that a city slicker like you know his way with hammering tools."

"Thanks," I replied sarcastically as I concentrate on my work.

"So is it true?" The cowboy asked casually, unloading the timber from the pickup truck. "That you have amnesia?"