seventeen.

CHAPTER SEVENTEEN,
visitation.

"You didn't fix the boat since last time?" Carol asked them.

Daryl ignored her question as Dog came up to him, the dog moved and laid down, "good dog." Daryl said.

"When was the last time you two ate?" Carol asked the couple.

"Dog and kids ate yesterday." Daryl replied.

"I'm not talking about the dog." Carol said to him.

"Three days." Aiden said to Carol when Daryl stalked off, "that's when we ate last."

»

Night fell and Aiden stood in front Daryl after convincing him to get a haircut. Beth and Elliot sat on the ground by the fire playing tic-tac-toe in the dirt.

Dog ran off barking. Carol's head turned, eyes following him.

"Look, I know you think we're still lookin' for him." Daryl started.

"Are you?" Carol asked from her spot beside him.

"I never found the body. Ever. After while, it just got easier to stay out here." Daryl explained.

"You have to let that go." Carol said.

"I'm still lookin'." Aiden began, "plus the kids like it out here. But they do miss everyone." Aiden said. She brushed the hair out of Daryl's face and he scrunched up his nose at her.

"That's better." Carol said as she looked at Daryl's hair.

"Come on. Dinner's ready." The six got their food and started to eat.

"How'd you get the scar, anyway?" Henry asked. Aiden looked up at Daryl.

"Where's that dog? His foods getting cold. Dog!" Daryl ignored the question.

"Dog!" Aiden called. Daryl stood and started to whistle.

Aiden finished her food as did her kids, "okay, time for bed." Aiden said. She ushered the kids to their tent.

"Goodnight, Mama." Beth kissed her cheek.

"Night, baby girl." She kissed Beth's forehead.

"Night, Mom." Elliot hugged her.

"Night, big man." She said and kissed his cheek. "Keep your knife close to you. I don't know but, I just have a bad feelings."

"Okay." Elliot whispered.

»

Aiden woke to the sound of Dog barking. She grabbed her machete and ran to where she heard the sound.

She saw Daryl, Henry, and Dog all walking in her direction. "What the hell happened?" She asked and made her way to them.