twenty-seven.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN
thank you.

The Sanctuary was a grim place.

It always has been.

But the many fires lit around brought the light and warmth they needed for the night.

Several of them stood around a map as Michonne pointed, "they next way station is here, right across the river that runs alongside old Route B."

"I thought the only crossing was back on along the route we were on," Magna stated.

"It is." Aaron said to her. "There's no way we'll make it, not under these conditions. Rick's bridge would've saved us." Aiden's fists clenched, "it could've cut half a day off our travel time." Aaron said.

"But we don't need a bridge. The creeks and ponds are frozen over. As long as we don't all go at once, we could probably just walk across." Carol stated. She pointed at the map. "There, through our old hunting grounds. It's a straight shot."

"A straight shot through Alpha's territory." Ezekiel spoke up.

"We didn't agree to those borders. Those borders are hers, not ours." Carol said to her husband.

"She's right." Aiden spoke for the first time since they got to the Sanctuary. "Alpha shoved them borders down our throats. Why not cough 'em back up and say "fuck you"? Aiden shrugged.

"That's a cold comfort if we trigger a war. We don't even know how to fight them yet." Ezekiel said to the two.

"It's only a couple miles-" Carol said.

"Hey, we can cross at night. They won't know that we're there." Michonne suggested.

"That's a good idea," Aiden mumbled.

"What if they already know?" Yumiko asked. "They could've been watching us in that field back there."

"It's all the more reason to move now."Daryl stepped up.

"We can do this," Aiden nodded.

"With the elderly? With the children? We can't take horses and wagon across the ice." Ezekiel said to the lot of them.

"Then we'll have to go by foot," Michonne said to the King. "Yes, it's risky but we're only carrying enough food to last us another day or two, and this storm could dump enough snow to make these roads impassable for weeks. It's either we make it to the next way station or we die." Michonne finished.

The group was silent before Carl grabbed one of the flashlights and walked off.

"I agree. We should try to make it to the way station." Aiden mumbled before walking off.

She settled in the spot she and Daryl set up before trying to get some rest.

"Stop! Stop!" Aiden heard her sons voice.

"Elliot?" She called out.

"Mama!" Beth screamed. Aiden whipped around in the all black room.