twenty-six.

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
here comes winter.

Winter was here. It was going to be a cold, harsh one, everyone could feel it.

Everyone was leaving the Kingdom. Aiden, Daryl, and Lydia walked together all bundled up. Elliot and Beth had returned to Alexandria with the others.

It was cold and snow slowly dropped down on everyone.

The Kingdom had fallen.

Xavier and Vivian lost their home. Carol and Ezekiel lost their Kingdom. Jerry, Nabila, and their kids lost their home.

Aiden couldn't help the heartbreak she felt in leaving the place.

»

"Is that them?" Alden asked as everyone looked at the walkers in the field, "people watching us now, huh? Well, we followed their rules. Haven't they done enough to us?"

"Hey. Why don't you lay off." Daryl spoke to Alden.

"It was her mother, not her. I get it, I do. I miss Enid, too. But don't take your anger out on Lydia," Aiden said.

"You don't have to protect me. I know how they feel about me."

"No. Don't mean they get to talk to you like that." Daryl shook his head.

"I just don't want to cause anymore problems." Lydia shrugged.

"It's their problem, not yours."

»

The snow had stuck to the ground. Now for as far as the eye could see was a white blanket laid out on the Earth.

She looked back at Ezekiel and Daryl, "we'll catch up." The King said to Carol and Aiden.

Aiden walked to a pale, broken down Nathaniel, "hey." She mumbled to him. He only looked to her. "I know, man. You lost so much within a span of days and I'm so sorry. So, so sorry." Aiden said. "I wish it was me."

"Don't say that," Nathaniel snapped suddenly. "I just lost my boyfriend, sister, and one of my best friends. Don't say shit like that, Aid." Nathaniel said to her.

Aiden sighed. She toyed with the bracelet on her wrist. She wondered if her kids were okay at Alexandria. But then again, they were with Payton, Rosita, Eugene, Siddiq, and Gabriel. Aiden knew they wouldn't let anything happen to the two.

The group came to a stop, "weather's already kicking in. Even if we hauled ass overnight, we'd never make it." Jerry said to the group.

"We need to get off the roads, find shelter between here and the next way station." Aaron stated.

"You have a place in mind?" Ezekiel asked.

Aiden looked around.

She knew where they were. "Yeah." Aiden spoke up, "I know a place."