𝐓𝐰𝐞𝐧𝐭𝐲-𝐒𝐞𝐯𝐞𝐧

CHAPTER TWENTY-SEVEN:QUILEUTE LEGENDS

QUILEUTE LEGENDS

ECHO LET HER HAIR fall from its ponytail as she walked toward the campfire that was being made. They were going to share the Quileute legends, and Echo wanted to hear them. She was already warned by Sam that her sister would be showing up. The sun was almost gone and it made Echo stop to watch the sunset. La Push was the only place where you could really see it and it made Echo smile.

"Care for an escort?" Echo turned her head and smiled when she saw Paul standing there, his hand held out. Echo chuckled before nodding her head, taking his hand.

"I would love an escort." A goofy grin came over his face which caused Echo to laugh. The two made their way to the campfire, sitting down on the ground. Paul placed an arm around her shoulders and she placed her head onto his shoulder as she patiently waited. When Bella appeared, Echo avoided eye contact with her, knowing that she would immediately feel guilty.

Soon, everyone had arrived and Billy Black started to speak.

"The Quileute have been a small tribe from the beginning. And we've always had magic in our blood. We were great spirit warriors, shape-shifters that transformed to the powerful wolf. This enabled us to scare off our enemies and protect our tribe. One day our warriors came across a creature that looked like man but was hard like stone and cold as ice. Our warrior's sharp teeth finally tore it apart, but only fire would completely destroy it. They lived in fear the cold man was not alone. They were right." Echo was immediately intrigued. She always loved stories, especially supernatural involved ones.

"She took her vengeance out on the village. Our elder chief, Taha Aki, was the only spirit warrior left to save the tribe after his son was killed. Taha Aki's third wife would see that we would lose. The third wife was no magical being, no special powers but one. Courage. Third wife sacrifice distracted the cold woman long enough for Taha Aki to destroy her. She saved the tribe. Over time our enemies have disappeared but one remains. The cold ones. Our magic awakens when they're near and we sense it now, we feel the threat in our blood. Something terrible is coming and we must all be ready. All of us."

Everyone slowly started to depart. Echo stayed in her spot, her mind processing the words that Billy Black had stated. She had a decision to make, and she needed to make it soon. Echo didn't even realize she and Bella were the only ones left until Bella cleared her throat, grabbing her attention. Echo slowly moved her gaze from the blazing fire to her sister.

"I didn't mean to make you upset." Bella stated. Echo looked at her, the orange flames making her skin glow in the light.

"I know."

"I just- I don't want you to leave again. Especially now that we both know vampires and werewolves exist. I don't want you to leave and then I never see you again." Bella felt her throat close up at the thought, but she tried to push her emotions away.