𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐲-𝐓𝐡𝐫𝐞𝐞

CHAPTER FIFTY-THREE:THE VOLTURI

THE VOLTURI

IT WAS TIME. THEY all stood there in the snowy field, waiting patiently for the Volturi to show up. Mates stood with one another, holding on to each other in hopes that a fight wouldn't be the outcome. The wolves―︎minus Jacob who was standing beside Bella―︎were hidden behind the trees. No movements being heard, except for the slow and steady rhythm of their heartbeats.

Echo was tense. She held a clenched jaw and her posture was straight and tense. She had experienced so many moments like this before, only they were just a little different. Instead of her gun being the weapon, her hands were. Carlisle held Echo's hand, rubbing soothing circles over her cold skin in hopes that it would somewhat ease her.

"If we live through this, I'll follow you anywhere, woman." Garret mumbled to Kate. The blonde glanced at him before looking back to the area in front of her.

"Now you tell me."

Echo squeezed Carlisle's hand tighter when the sound of footsteps came from the other side of the forest. The Volturi were coming closer and closer.

"The red coats are coming. The red coats are coming." Garret mumbled mostly to himself, but Echo heard it clearly. She watched silently as the Volturi revealed themselves, walking closer and closer, stopping only when snarls could be heard from the woods, allowing the wolves to reveal themselves from the trees. They crept up behind the vampires, staying farther in the back with snarls falling from their mouths.

"Aro's looking for Alice." Edward tells Bella, directing it towards Echo as well. Echo watched as he searched the vampires in front of him, his eyes catching with Echo's who held a dangerous and threatening look in her eyes, making the Volturi leader feel uneasy under her gaze. Of course, he didn't show this to anyone as he quickly removed his eyes from hers, going back over to Bella's and Edward's.

Carlisle gives Echo's hand a reassuring squeeze, causing her to glance at him before she reluctantly let go of his hand. He walked forward, leaving Echo to stand there by herself. She was surprised when another hand slid into her own, giving her a reassuring squeeze. She turned her head to see Esme standing there. The woman gave Echo a kind smile, to which Echo returned before turning her gaze back to her finacé.

"Aro, let us discuss things as we used to, in a civilized manner." Carlisle started.

"Fair words, Carlisle. But a little out of place given the battalion you've assembled against us."

"I can promise you, that was never my intent. No laws have been broken." Carlisle calmly stated.

"We see the child, do not treat us as fools." Caius seethed.

"She is not an immortal!" Carlisle told them, his voice raising to prove his point. "These witnesses can attest to that. You can look. See the flush of human blood in her cheeks."