Chapter 18: The Final

Chapter 18

Taking a deep breath. Inhale, 2, 3. Exhale, 2, 3. Keira shook her legs out as they got ready to line up in the tunnel. She had been so nervy for this match for weeks, but now she felt a sudden calm. She couldn't have been happy enough to have Lucy back at City, she thought as she glanced behind her at her best friend. And it was at the best time possible that Lucy was returned from recovery after her injury at Lyon. It was the biggest match of the season, MCWFC had made it to the FA WSL final v Arsenal at Goodison Park, a familiar scene. Generally this would have Keira's anxiety in full force, but Lucy had spent the entire coach ride there trying to crack jokes to make her laugh, and it had filled her with a good, strong confidence.

The manager nodded at them, and the girls went out onto the pitch. Everything seemed to be moving around her at the centre of it all. Coming out of the tunnel, the bright blue sky came into view, perfect day for the match. As they stood on the pitch waiting for the kickoff whistle, she fidgeted with her armband. The captain's armband.

It was something she was completely unused to. It slipped up and down her little arm, got twisted in her sleeve, and she couldn't help but think how much better it looked on Steph as she cast a glance across at the older defender who returned a smile. More deep breaths. The kickoff whistle came sharp in her ear, and off they went, this was the biggest match Keira could have ever dreamed of captaining.

18' DVD opens the scoring, Arsenal up 1-0. Will the defending champions put up a fight?

21' Almost! A well-placed shot off a tight angle from Weir, the ball deflects off Evans and finds itself over the post. The blues are still looking to tie it up

23' Georgia Stanway! It's in! Brilliant strike from Stanway levels the score, 1-1!

36' City strike again! Excellent play by Walsh, breaks through midfield and her long-range bullet of a shot flies past Zinsberger and there's no stopping it! Keira Walsh puts City in the lead 2-1!

56' Goal! Beth Mead evens it out, 2-2 with a header off a corner! City had the 1st half but the match is far from over! Can City combat this?

59' Another for the reds! In 3 minutes, both Beth Mead and Katie Mccabe bring it even and then take Arsenal up 3-2 over Man City! It will take the blues something special to return from this.

79' Unbelievable! Lucy Bronze runs out from the backline and makes it 3-3 with a beautiful volley! It's all tied now, about 10 minutes till fulltime and all that'll be left is stoppage time to decide the winner! Will be another City v Arsenal showdown that goes into penalties?

90+1' Keira Walsh! Manchester City have done it! They've won their 2nd WSL title in a row! Back-2-Back champions and its Keira Walsh with her first brace of the season!! City snatch the title in stoppage time thanks to Walsh's last minute second goal!

As soon as three whistles blew, the pitch erupted. Players, fans, everyone was going mad. Jumping up in down in unison as confetti rained down on the victorious blues.

"You were amazing!" Lucy screamed as she lifted Keira in her arms.

The girls' friends from England, Leah, Jordan, Beth and other familiar players congratulated their friends on the win and then the champions took to the centre of the pitch for celebrations.

They all stood on the podium after receiving their winners' medals. Steph was handed the trophy, but she held it out to Captain Keira Walsh. Honoured, flustered, shy, proud, Keira took the trophy with unsure hands. Lucy steadied her grasp around the trophy and all the girls got into place.

"Three, two, one!" All of them jumped and went wild, raising the trophy in the air, bouncing around like a lot of excited kids. After the photos and on-pitch celebrations with the fans, Jordan ran out wearing a sweatshirt over her Arsenal jersey and holding a big bottle of champagne which she drenched her England teammates in.

Keira laughed and wiped the sticky champagne from her eyes, leaning on Lucy as they all ran back through the tunnel and danced into the dressing room.

"Let's go out girls!" Jill shouted, and an excited muddle of clamour filled the dressing room as they gathered their things and exited, piling into the coach taking them to Manchester.