Chapter 29: lucy's new life

That night, after everyone had gone off to bed, Lucy and Keira sat together in the darkness of the living room, the TV playing though they weren't really watching. Lucy was itching to say something and Keira was just waiting for her to say it.

Lucy inched nearer to Keira, and Keira gave it a good 5 seconds before Lucy would spill her guts. 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.

"Kei."

There it was, right on cue. "Yes?" Keira looked up into Lucy's face.

Lucy stroked Keira's hair as Keira slipped down to rest her head on Lucy's lap. "You know what Steph was saying about...finding something to do with myself now that I'm not playing football?"

"Yeh. I support it, you know. I know you, Lucy. I know you get restless. I know you can't stay here with Milly 24/7 and be expected to stay sane."

Lucy smiled. "Your right. I mean, don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy..."

"I know."

"Good. I'm so happy, Keira."

"I know."

"But I think...I need to find that something to do."

"Of course."

"I need to find a job."

"Well..." Keira began reluctantly. "You don't need a job, Luce. Believe it or not, I can more than support this family.

"Of course. You're the best defensive midfielder in the world. You know I don't doubt you, Kei. But I just mean, for my own good."

"Mmmhm. I get it. Well, what do you wanna do?"

"I'm going to start looking at jobs right away," Lucy said. "Even when I played football, I've always worked. You know, whether its bloody Dominos Pizza or drinking the lads under the table as a waitress at the pub-"

"Let's not do that one," Keira interrupted.

"Well, yeah. My point is, it shouldn't be hard for me to find work and I'm not choosy. It's something I've always done, you know. I'm just too jumpy here. That's why I need to get a job."

"I know."

"You're not upset?"

Keira sat up. "Of course not. The only thing I want is this world is for you to be happy. And I know you can't be happy just milling about here at home."

Lucy smiled and wrapped Keira up in a big hug, wondering yet again how she'd gotten so lucky.

With the blessing of Jordan, Leah, Millie, Rachel, Steph, and most importantly, Keira, Lucy set out the next day in search of a job. Like she reminded Keira the night before, she was used to work. But as she scoured the newspapers and online applications and as she wandered the streets of Manchester, looking for shops with "We're Hiring!" signs adorning the windows, she didn't find anything which inspired her.

The problem was, she was looking for something to replace the irreplaceable. She was looking desperately for something she hoped would fill the gap in her heart that retiring from football left. But none of these jobs could ever fill that. As much as she tried to avoid it, football was her life and nothing could come close to satisfying her like football used to do.

In the end, it was time to retire from playing. It had been an amazing, crazy, beautiful career but it was time for it to end. And now that it was over, and the "break" after retirement had faded in its glamour, Lucy felt empty. She needed football back in her life.

Drifting around Manchester, she finally got the idea to try and get a football-related job. It shouldn't be too impossible, since she was a huge name in the realm of football. She told Keira about her plan that night, hoping to get some valuable advice or help.

"That's a brilliant idea, luce,' Keira assured her. 'Have you thought what exactly you want to do?"

"I dunno," Lucy shrugged. "I feel like, if I put the idea out there, something will come to me."

"Well, that's no good," Keira frowned. "Lucy with opportunity, when youre looking for it, you have to go after it. You cant just sit back and expect something to come to you."

Lucy nodded. 'You're right."

Keira shrugged. "I'm always right. Now what if you managed a side? Like a youth club? Or a small county?"

Lucy raised her eyebrows dubiously. "Me, a gaffer? As if." She cracked her knuckles with doubt.

Keira made a face. "What do you mean, Luce? You'd be great at it, to be honest. Better than Phil, hah. No, seriously tho. You'd be amazing. And you don't have to do anything big. Just put it out there and take what opportunity you can get."

Lucy nodded slowly. "I guess. I mean...its actually a great idea. What would I do without you, Kei?"

Keira laughed. "Noooo idea. I don't wanna know!"