Chapter 26: Bad Vibes

One after the other, footballers came pouring in the door in pairs. Lucy's eagerness to see her old friends began to fade as faces she hardly recognized came in with her England teammates. She didn't appreciate that the invited players took liberties to bring their partners, or friends, or dates, to the Lionesses Reunion. That was the point of the whole thing, it was a Lionesses reunion, not a footballer's fiesta.

Keira didn't seem to be bothered by the "extra guests." She greeted them all with perfect loveliness, Danielle Van Donk, Olly Ashall-Bolt, Laura Wilson...But Lucy grew irritated with the uninvited footballers as they continued to arrive. Lucy didn't like anything she wasn't completely familiar with. Unfortunately for her, unfamiliar faces started to fill her living room. She quickly huddled with her closest Lionesses mates, eager to show off the baby to them.

Completely enchanted with Lucy and Keira's precious little angel, their teammates off the National team circled around Lucy and the baby immediately, asking to hold her.

"What's her name, the little darling?" Beth Mead gasped, playing with the baby's little feet.

"Milly Stephanie Bronze," Lucy said proudly. Everyone clutched their hearts at the preciousness.

"When did she come along?" Millie Bright asked, making faces at baby Milly.

"When me and Luce went to France with Lucy and Leah we were touched by all the schools which took in orphans who had been abandoned," Keira explained. "Milly was one of those poor children. Me and Kei went back 6 months ago. We got her when she was only 3 months."

"And it's official? She's been adopted and you and Luce are parents?"

Keira nodded proudly. "Now, she should be in bed but Lucy wanted to show off."

"Well we had to meet her!" exclaimed Rachel Daly.

"She is a little small, don't you think?" DVD commented.

Daan hadn't meant anything by it really, but Lucy took offence and cast a lowkey glare her way. "No, she's perfect."

"Of course," Steph cut in, sensing an unspoken tension.

The tension between Lucy and DVD didn't end there, however. The more drinks DVD downed, the more strained it got. While Keira was having fun relaxing with Millie, Rachel, Ellen, Steph, and others, Lucy was keeping a close eye on the Arsenal forward. She watched the shorter girl wander into the kitchen, and waited a few minutes before going in after her.

"Can I help you with something?" Lucy asked sharply.

Daan spun around, her heart jumping. She let out a little gasp. "Uhmmm, sorry. I was...I was just..."

Lucy raised an eyebrow, looking suspiciously in her eye.

"I was looking for a lime. For the drinks."

I think you've had enough, Lucy wanted to say. Instead she nodded. "Over here." She opened the fridge and took out a bright green lime. "Catch."

Daan watched the lime fly in the air and caught it in her hands, her eyes looking back up at Lucy. "Thanks," she breathed.

Lucy kept a watchful eye on her as she made her way back to the party.

"What's wrong, Luce," Ellen asked as she walked into the kitchen for a bottle opener.

Lucy shook her head. "Nothing."

Ellen laughed slightly. "It's Daan, isn't it. She's weird, huh."

Lucy nodded, her eyebrows raised. "There's something strange about her."

"I don't think she's usually like this," Ellen offered, shrugging. "She's had a lot to drink."

"She's been weird since she first come in," Lucy remarked.

Ellen popped the cork out of the wine. "Don't let her get to you. Go have fun."

Lucy smiled at her and followed her out of the kitchen, walking over to the corner where Georgia and Stan were joking around and Jill was holding baby Milly. Lucy took Milly onto her lap and sat beside them. She looked across the room at Keira who was smiling at whatever conversation they were having in which Steph was trying to be funny, and it made Lucy happy. But when she shifted her gaze a bit, and made eye contact with DVD she paused. DVD saw her too, and winked, and Lucy stood up sharply and went down the hall to put Milly to bed.

She lingered awhile in the dark room over Milly's white crib, looking at the baby though her mind was distant in thought. She jumped when she felt a hand on her shoulder, but let out a sight of relief when she saw it was Keira who was beside her.

"You ok?" Keira asked in her sweet little voice. "You disappeared."

Lucy nodded, swallowing. "Yeah. Just putting Mills to bed."

"Finally," laughed Keira softly. She planted a light kiss on Lucy's cheek. "Ok. I love you."

Lucy smiled. "Love you too, Kei Kei."