Chapter 19: Moonlight Memories

"I...think it's time to go," Lucy said, laughing as Jill and Lucy Stan downed another shot. She turned to Steph. "I'll see you at home?"

"Where are you off to?" Steph asked inquisitively.

"Just going with Keira," Lucy said nonchalantly.

Steph gave Lucy a questioning look, and Lucy nodded. Steph's eyes brightened. "Alright, see you later," she said, a big smile on her face and a proud look in her eyes.

Lucy and Keira had been driving in the darkness from the club for 5 minutes before Keira finally asked, "Where are we going?"

"You'll see," Lucy said mysteriously.

Keira rolled her eyes. "If this is another late-night run to Tesco for Frosties Bars, I've already told you they don't have them."

Lucy laughed. "I'm not going to bloody Tesco!"

Keira leaned her head back against the seat. "What've you been drinking?"

"Nothing!" Lucy exclaimed.

Keira gave her a look. "Did you have some of those tequila shots with Jill and Stan when I was at the toilets?"

Lucy acted offended. "God, no." She laughed. "They were gin and tonic," she added playfully.

Keira slapped her. "Lucy, stop" she cried laughing, tucking her hair behind her ear.

Finally they pulled into the car park and Lucy turned off the car. Keira squinted into the dark to see where they'd parked.

"CFA? Luce, what are we doing here?"

Lucy shrugged. "I just wanted to have a walk-around."

The two footballers got out of the car and Lucy led them round to the pitch, and then stopped at the far edge, leaning on the barricade. She let out a sigh. "We have so many memories here, don't we."

"And many more to make," Keira said gently, taking Lucy's arm in hers.

Lucy smiled down at her. "I'm proud of you, Kei."

Keira wrinkled her nose. "Ok, Mum."

Lucy looked deep into Keira's eyes. "I'm serious, Kei. I remember watching you play when you were new, just a kid, and look at you now. Captain Walsh. You've come so far. I'm so proud of you."

Keira blushed, glad the darkness could hide it for some extent. "Cmon, Luce. I'm not Captain Fantastic."

"You are to me," Lucy said quietly.

Keira felt warm all over, and her heart started pumping faster. She looked down at the ground. "I'm glad you're here Luce."

"So am I, babe." She lifted Keira's chin up so their eyes met and they both kept a strong gaze at each other till Lucy took both Keira's hands in hers.

Keira's eyes dropped to her hands which were on the verge of trembling, and then looked back up into Lucy's eyes. But as her gaze lifted to meet her teammate's, Lucy dipped down to set one knee on the grass.

"Keira Fae Walsh." Lucy's voice was quiet, almost a whisper. She looked up into Keira's angelic face, which was lit by the moonlight streaming across the sweet-smelling pitch. "I love you."

"I love you too," gasped Keira quietly.

"That's why...I just have to...I have to tell you...I wanna be with you, for ever and ever. And I'm not gonna stop trying to get to you. I'm done running away from this. I want you to be mine, I want to be together forever. I've found love, Keira. And I can't let it go. So...I want you to marry me." Her throat was suddenly dry, her voice was soft as a whisper, her heart was pounding so loud she could've sworn Keira could hear it. Bang bang, bang bang, on fire in her chest.

"It's all I've ever wanted," Keira breathed.

Lucy squeezed Keira's hands, not moving her gaze from Keira's face, unable to. "Is that...is that a yes?"

Keira nodded, tears filling her eyes. "yes," she whispered. "Yes, yes, yes. A million times yes."

"That's a lot of times," Lucy laughed shakily, wiping her eyes. She and Keira stared happily at eachother for a while till Lucy snapped out of her trance. "Ah, dam it! The ring! I swear to God..." She fumbled a minute till she pulled a little diamond-and-silver ring out of her City jacket pocket. "That's for you." She held it up as an offering to Keira.

"Lucia Bronze," Keira cried. "Where in the hell did you get this bloody ring!"

"You...you don't like it," Lucy stammered. "That's ok. You're not a jewelry girl. I'll—I'll send it back."

Without a word, Keira jumped on Lucy, knocking both of them down onto the pitch. "I love it," she whispered. "It's amazing."