Chapter 33: Perfect

Lucy couldn't stop smiling all week, even if she tried not to.

"Whats the matter with you, Luce," Steph teased. "You haven't been moody for a month now."

Lucy elbowed her former Captain, grinning. "I'm not moody," she said defensively. "I'm just awkward."

"Isn't that true," Keira laughed.

"Never heard anything more true," Steph agreed, and Lucy faked a scowl at them.

Lucy kicked a blue balloon in the air, and Milly watched it intensely as it came back down again, heading it upwards to Lucy.

Lucy dove to the floor, scooping Milly into her arms. "Milly's first header!" she shouted excitedly to Steph and Keira.

Keira slid onto the carpet where Milly was sat, the balloon in her hands. "Oooo!" Keira squealed proudly, leaning her forehead on her baby's. "Just like her Mummy. A natural born footballer."

Lucy frowned. "Which Mummy?"

Keira raised her eyebrows, her eyes wandering up to the ceiling. "Errr...I'll leave that up to you to decide."

"Hold up" Lucy scrambled to her feet, chasing Keira into the kitchen. "If you think you're the best footballer in this house you're well off!"

"Yeah, everyone knows I'm the best footballer in this house," Steph called from the living room.

Lucy leaned out the kitchen doorway, and gave Steph a smirk. "Ahahaha. Your funny Steph." She turned back to Keira, who held up her hands innocently.

"I never said I was the best footballer in this house, I just said her Mummy is a natural born footballer! Could be you, could be me...."

Lucy shook her head, narrowing her eyes at Keira playfully. "We all know Milly calls you Mummy, and she calls me Mamma. You were referring to yourself."

Keira threw a plastic water bottle at Lucy to divert her before darting outside, Lucy hot on her heels. Lucy grabbed Keira around the waist. "You can't lose me!" Lucy cried good-humoredly. "I'm the fastest natural born footballer in the world."

Keira pushed her away, laughing and breathless. "Ok, miss defender."

Lucy raised her eyebrows challengingly. "as if that's an insult! Defenders are some of the fastest on the pitch! And you're a defender too!"

Keira gasped in mock hurt. "Lucia Bronze! I am a midfielder! How dare you!"

"A defensive midfielder!" Lucy shouted, rolling her eyes.

Keira rolled her eyes back and a smile broke out across her face as she walked back into Lucy's arms. "You know what we should do?"

Lucy raised an eyebrow. "Keira..." she teased warningly.

Keira tipped her head back, laughing. The sight of it, Keira laughing in the golden light of sunset, filled Lucy's heart with warmth. She couldn't take her eyes off Keira.

"We should...go out." Keira looked up hopefully into Lucy's eyes.

"Out? Out where? Like to the park, take Milly?" Lucy held her breath as Keira threw her arms around her neck.

Keira shook her head. "no, silly! Just you and me. Steph'll take Milly for the night."

Lucy smiled. "anything for you."

Lucy took a fast shower, put on some nice clothes and perfume, and waited out in the living room with Milly till Keira came out. Lucy was enchanted with Milly as the two of them played with the balloon from the Stretford Union Blues' post-match celebration. But the second Keira walked out and Lucy caught sight of her, she was transfixed.

"Wow," Lucy breathed. "You look amazing, babe."

Keira blushed. "Stop it," she whispered. She kissed Milly on the head and gave Steph a hug. "Thanks for taking her for the night, Skip."

"Of course!" Steph grinned, taking Milly into her arms. "Auntie Steph loves her lil Milly."

Keira smiled, and looked over at Lucy. "Ready?" Lucy nodded, swallowing.

As they got in the car, Lucy laughed at herself. "It's like I'm a kid on a first date, Kei. You're making me all nervy again."

Keira rolled her eyes. "We haven't even left the driveway, Lucy."

Lucy laughed softly as she started to drive down the road. "I know, Kei. But there's somet about you...when I see you its like...I'm falling in love all over again."

Keira smiled into the distance. "Lucy..." She looked out her window, sighing. "I love our life. Our life together. Me, you, Milly...it's all I've ever dreamed of."

"Me too," Lucy said, reaching over and placing her hand on Keira's thigh. "It's perfect."