Chapter 30: Lucy Bronze, Gaffer

The morning after Lucy put a little announcement on twitter that she was up for managing any local side, her phone blew up with messages.

Georgia: Ahahaha gaffer.

How does it feel to be old?

Steph: Oh my God Luce! Im so proud of you! What a great decision, I love it. Good luck!

Phil Neville: Following in my footsteps I see. I guess we're competition now!

Dad: Are you ok

Jordan: This is soooo exciting! Go on gaffer!

Leah: You're mental. I'm coming over, right now.

Lucy Stan: Does this mean I have to salute to you or somet when I see you?

Cos not bloody likely

Jill: Lmaooooo

O wait. You're serious

Lucy answered all her messages, and as she was doing so one caught her eyes especially.

Ms Bronze, my name is Daisy and I'm a such a huge fan! I play with the Stretford Union Blues, a small U-17 womens club here in Manchester. You're such a ledgend here, Ms Bronze and we seen that you'd put somet up saying you're looking for a job as a manager. As it is, we Blues actually need a manager since last night ours had to retire since she is pregnant. I know you're a National hero, we all love you, and we're just a small young club but if you wanted to come by, we'd be so honoured. Love, Daisy.

Lucy raised her eyebrows, leaning back in her chair. "Well, Daisy..." She smiled to herself. "Looks like you might just have a new manager." She got up, threw her boots and a ball in her bag just in case, put on her City jacket and looked up directions to this Stretford Union Blues place.

She accidentally drove past it about 5 times, it was down a bumpy narrow road, and finally she made it through to the entrance. It was a small pitch, the ground was all ridges and hills, the grass was dry but muddy, and still, 18 girls were kicking about on it.

She got up out of her car, and shut the door, bracing herself against the cold wind. She made her way to the pitch and stood there, watching them play from a distance. One girl chipped the ball and after it landed it rolled across the pitch, coming to a stop right in front of her feet. It was one of those dodgy balls, sunworn and water damaged, which one always sees rolling around but never knew who it belonged to. Lucy laughed and kicked it up in the air, heading it high before catching it in her two hands.

By then the girls had come over and gathered around her, silently staring in a shy huddle.

"You're Lucy Bronze!" one girl cried in disbelief.

Lucy nodded. 'Aye." She smiled. "I'm more interested in you lot. What are your names?"

"Ellie, Daisy, Sara, Poppy, Anna, Christina, Viola, Grace, Lianne, Angelina, Francesca, Becca, Giulia, Victoria, Charlotte, Cara, Kate, Viv...." All 18 girls threw their names at Lucy.

Lucy grinned. "Well, girls. I don't think theres anything official about this, so if you're still looking for a manager I think I'm up for the job, no?"

All the girls nodded excitedly.

"Oh my God, I don't believe it!"

Lucy laughed. "I'm not all fun and games, you know. We've a lot of work to do." The girls nodded seriously. "I'm taking on this club on a whim, but we're going to be taking this seriously. I think this could be a big jump for all of us, I just need to be able to expect nothing less than the hardest work from you lot, which I think I can. Can we do that girls?"