Chapter 35: dreams come true

Three weeks later...

Lucy lay in bed late at night wide awake, a million thoughts filling her head. She smiled as she thought of the Stretford Union Blues' spectacular win last night that took them into the finals verse Arsenal U17. Both she and the girls had all grown so much in their journey here. They weren't like little girls anymore to her, she trusted them and cared for them, and knew them all so well. She was glad she was able to help them, get them a bigger house in Stockport and buy a huge lorry to take them to and from practise and matches. Whether or not they won the final in 3 days, she was going to be so proud of them, she already was.

She'd changed the girls lives in so many ways. She had come to learn of each of them and their personal struggles, the one who self-harmed, the one who drank, the one who had a mean boyfriend. She was able to help them and protect them and take them through the things that came their way. She'd also changed the club historically, taking them from a little group of poor girls who didn't even have a pitch or kits, to making them their own ground, and getting them bespoke kits, and coaching them through every match as they worked their way up the league to this point. She was so proud of them.

But now that they'd made it, Lucy wanted something more. She took on this club for the challenge, and now it was different. They'd overcame everything together, and made it to the top and now she was hungry for something more. Lucy could never settle for anything less than a challenge.

So much success, so many blessings. Lucy thanked her stars every night for everything she was lucky enough to have. When she told Keira how perfect she thought everything was, she was telling the absolute truth. But perfect wasn't really Lucy's speed. It was always nice, for a time. But like retirement, the niceness of it faded quickly and all that was left was a restless spirit, looking for something greater.

Then it came. It came like a godsend, but also a curse. When she first got the email, she couldn't believe her eyes. It seemed perfect! Absolutely perfect! But she'd learned that perfect wasn't always good. And she knew that it would be a big change in her life if she took the opportunity she was now presented with. She had read the email 5 times over, the first day she got it. The content of it consumed her mind, the words of it she'd memorized, and it repeated itself in her head over and over.

Dear Ms Bronze

News has reached us of your success as a manager in England. Here at Lyon we miss your talent as our best ever right back but are glad to hear your retirement as a footballer has led to new horizons in your career as a manger. As the season is coming to a close, we would like to present to you the offer of coming back to Olympique Lyonnais in the position of a manager for our rising U21 Olympique Lyonnais Feminin club. The compensation for this position is very generous and the contract can be worked out with you at a later date should you accept our offer. We hope this finds you in good health and we look forward to your response.

A managerial position at Lyon! A dream come true! Lucy couldn't stop thinking about the offer, excitement rising up in her everytime it came to her mind. Her heart beat a little faster, her spirits flew a little higher, her mind felt a lot more at ease. This was the exact opportunity she had been longing for, it was bigger and better than anything she could have imagined.

But then it hit her. She had to tell Keira. How could she possibly tell Keira that she was going back to Lyon? How could she possibly break that sort of news to her? Suddenly her overwhelming excitement was replaced with dread, fear, guilt. She didn't know what to do. Desperate, she needed to talk to someone. She needed advice, knowing she couldn't do this on her own.

Grabbing her phone, she ran to the park where she and Keira always took Milly and sat on one of the benches in the warm, golden light of the fading sun. Who should she call? Who was always there for her and Keira and who would give her the best advice? She knew she couldn't tell Steph, Steph would undoubtedly tell Keira. She knew then exactly who to call.

"Uhmmm, hey," Lucy said into the phone when Leah picked up.

"Whats up Luce?" Leah asked.

"I've got a...situation."

Lucy heard Leah sigh over the phone. "Of course you do. And you called me because its beyond you and your too shy to tell Keira. Ok, let me step out real quick. You know nosy Jordan is."

Lucy waited till Leah situated herself and then began her rant in vague, unclear terms. "So...Leah...let's say...you've been wanting something, and you've been dreaming about it for a long time, and finally the opportunity comes and...your blown away, but you think it's the right thing to do..."

"Is this about marrying Keira?"

"What?! Marrying...no! No."

"Ok, continue..."

Lucy bit her lip. "So imagine this thing comes along, and you think its right but you don't know..."

"Lucy your being vague as hell!" Leah cried. "I cant help you if you keep wandering in your mind like this."

Lucy sighed. "Ok. So, I've got this opportunity, and I think taking it would be the right choice. Its an opportunity I've been dreaming of. But there are...complications. I mean, I think it'll be hard to take on."

"Well you love a challenge Luce, so I don't see how it's a problem," Leah frowned.

"But there will be complications to work through," Lucy added.

Leah shrugged. "It sounds like this is really important to you, so what do complications matter?"

"Not for me. For Keira."

"Lucy, you and Keira...I know you two better than anyone. And I know you and her can work through whatever complications there are together."

Lucy sighed. Maybe this was too complicated to work through with Keira. "Yeah, thanks."

"Lucy. You have to have a little more faith in Kei. You know she wants what is best for you and if this opportunity is right for you, she'll see that right away."

Lucy nodded, knowing Leah was right. Her fear was that Keira wouldn't think it was the right opportunity. "I know...thanks Leah."

"Anytime love."

Lucy felt encouraged to take up this new job with Lyon. After all, there were so many reasons to. She felt like taking this managerial position at the youth club of the best womens football club in the world would be great for their family. She wasn't being selfish, she told herself. She would take it only for Keira and Milly, to help them.

All night, Lucy was distracted by the choice in front of her. She held Keira in her arms as they watched a film, her body was present but her mind and dreams were in France. She looked down at the girl she was holding, and had to think deeply. She knew on the outside, moving back to France would really hurt Keira. But she wanted this for their family. The guilt she felt over her last move to Lyon didn't touch this ambition. This time, she was doing it for the girl in her arms, the young midfielder she loved and their child. She just hoped Keira would be able to see that.

The morning light crept through the drapes and flashed in a line over Lucy's face. She had fallen asleep on the sofa with Keira, and glanced at the clock to see it was 6 am. She stood up cautiously, gently replacing Keira's head on a nearby pillow.

She went into the garden and sat on a low brick wall, taking in the cool morning air and early golden sunshine. She bounced her knee up and down, her mind deep in thought. She couldn't fight the urge any longer. She pulled out her phone, and went straight again to her emails. She read the message from Lyon three times over, before pressing reply and typing her answer to their offer.