Chapter 31: Training

After a long, hard, hot day of work the girls were exhausted. The sun had slipped past the horizon and out of sight and the damp night air surrounded them. Their bodies ached, their necks were burnt, their energy was spent.

"I've never worked so much one day in my life," gasped one girl the second they collapsed on the ground.

"You'd be dead if you had to," panted another.

They saw Lucy approaching them from the distance and looked at each other nervously, hoping their new manager didn't have another insufferable task for them.

"Hey girls, hows everyone," Lucy grinned, a football at her hip.

The girls looked at her, not knowing whether to laugh or cry. Lucy squatted down near them. "You've worked hard, done good," she said solemly. "I'm proud of yous."

They all smiled.

"Are we still working into the night?" one girl asked timidly.

"Not one of you complained when we were working. You all did well. No, we're not going to keep digging tonight."

The girls sighed of relief, some shaking hands and getting up to go.

"Where yous off to?" Lucy called after them.

They turned around. "Ah, we're headed home, ma'am."

Lucy frowned. "I thought you came here to learn football." She began juggling the ball at her feet.

The girls looked at each other. "Are...are we having training now?"

"Yeh, come on!" Lucy said encouragingly.

The girls all walked over to her despite their aching muscles, making a huddle around their new manager.

Lucy set up some drills for the girls to do and led them on a run, 10 laps round the new pitch, which was bare and muddy. Lucy enjoyed the training, she liked the company of the girls and appreciated their hard work. It was good for her to get out of the immediate city, good for her to train outside. She felt a peace, playing football again without the distractions. There were no lights, only the moon, there were no turf, only the dirt, there were no equipment, only the ball, but the simplicity made her feel at home and playing football like this raised her spirits.

The young footballers were exhausted by the time training was over but they were very thankful to Lucy. They said their goodbyes and began the long walk in huddled groups down the road. Lucy watched them disappear round the bend before collecting the ball, cones, and tools she'd brought for the day. As she drove up the road, she came along the girls as they walked from training. They were exhausted, and stumbling along the road, leaning on each other for support. Lucy rolled down her window.

"Where are yous going?" she called.

"Heading home now, ma'am, unless you got more training for us."

Lucy laughed to herself. "But youre all walking? Got no car, no one to pick you up?"

Daisy looked around at her teammates before walking up to Lucy's window. "Most of these girls haven't got family, ma'am," she told Lucy in a low, quiet voice. "A lot of them are staying in that house, just a mile up the road with Viola. Her mum's got the lot of them, takes care of em, sends em to school, feeds em. We always walk to football together and walk home."

Lucy nodded slowly. A lot of the girls she was now coaching we orphans, like her own daughter Milly. "Girls! Get in the car, as many of yous as can fit. Come on then"

The girls piled into Lucy's car, intended for 5 passengers but now utilized to contain 18 girls. They were all crammed on each others laps and in the boot, crowded but comfortable and glad to get a ride. Ellie directed Lucy the way to Violas house.

When they got to the house, the girls were very grateful to Lucy and invited her in for a cup of tea. Lucy decided to take them up on the offer and followed them into the tall home which housed the majority of her team. Violas Mum was glad to meet Lucy.

"So your Lucy Bronze the famous footballer!" she gasped when she saw Lucy at the door. She quickly pulled up her hair and moved aside, welcoming Lucy in. "The girls have told me so much about you!"

Lucy smiled. "Good things, I hope."

"Good things only," nodded Viola's mum with a smile.

The house was tall and narrow, with at least 4 floors, a steep winding staircase in the middle. It was a wonder to Lucy how 12 girls managed to live here together. After a cup of tea with all the girls, they said goodnight and, exhausted, climbed up to bed. Lucy stayed awhile to talk to Viola's Mum.

"Please, call me Susie," Viola's mum said.

Lucy smiled. "Of course. So...how long have you...been doing this?" she nodded in the direction of the stair, indicating the girls.

"14 years," Susie answered. "Since Viola was 2. We took one girl in, then another. I couldn't bear seeing these children all alone, after school with no where to go. And theres so many of them, Ms Bronze."

Lucy nodded understandingly. "Me and Kei...me and my fiancé, adopted a little girl from France. Her name's Milly."

Susie was touched. "How sweet. Ms Bronze, you've no idea how much you mean to these girls. They idolize you. Even more now that they know you. They love who you are, your heart and passion."

Lucy shifted in her seat uncomfortable under the compliments. "Ah, they're good girls."

Susie's eyes filled with tears. "Thankyou, for everything. The influence you have on them...they love you."

"Ah, it'll pass," Lucy said, shaking her head.

"No, it won't. You're a good person, Ms Bronze. That's what these girls need, a good person. By whatever chance it was that you decided to coach them...it is a blessing, true. I know we can't offer you much...or anything, really. And...I'm sorry. You deserve the best for what you've started to do for these girls."

Lucy looked around the little house, wishing she could do more for them. "Its my pleasure, Susie."

Susie smiled, wiping her tears. She reached over and patted Lucy's hand. She handed a biscotti wrapped in a paper to Lucy. '"For your fiancé and the baby,' she said.

"Thankyou," Lucy said warmly as she opened the door, stepping out.

"No, thankyou," Susie grinned.

Lucy quietly opened the front door of her house, leaning into the door as she crept in the main room. She stopped, finding Leah and Jordan sat on the sofa with Keira.

"Hi," she whispered.

Her friends smiled up at her.

"You're back late," Keira murmured, reaching her arms around Lucy's neck for a kiss.

Lucy nodded. "When did you two get here?" she asked Leah and Jordan.

"Only a few hours ago," Leah answered.

"What you got there?" Jordan inquired, peering at the wrapped food in Lucy's hand.

Lucy laughed softly, throwing the biscotti at Jord. "Take it, ya monster." She turned to Keira. "Is Milly asleep?"

Keira nodded. "She's in her room"

Lucy skirted around the sofa and hurried down the hall, slipping in her socks. She froze in the doorway of Milly's room, staring after the little bundle of infant in the crib. She watched little Milly's figure move slightly up and down as she breathed. Lucy smiled, her heart full.

She tiptoed over to the edge of the crib, leaning down and taking Milly lovingly into her arms. She gently laid Milly over her chest, her little head resting on her shoulder. She swayed slowly, feeling the light breaths of the baby against her neck. She closed her eyes, letting everything else fade around her into a world where she knew nothing but this perfect moment with her baby. 

(sorry its been a few days without an update but I'm back <3)