Chapter 38: The truth

It's ok, everything's ok. Keira told herself this over and over. Why did she still feel the need to hide from Lucy? Why did she have to pretend like she was ok? She looked over at the girl in the driver's seat of the car. That was the girl she had fallen in love with the first time she saw her at training with City in pre-season 2015. Now, over 7 years later, she was still in love with Lucy Bronze. And despite her fiance's reassurances, she still doubted the feelings were reciprocated completely, since Lucy seemed to be always hiding from her.

The tension hidden behind fake smiles in that one car was enormous. They both quickly looked over at each other and flashed nervous grins, before looking away. Keira reached forward and turned up the music in the car to try and quiet the loud thoughts in her head.

When they got to the restaurant, Lucy hurried out of the car to run around and open the door for Keira. "M'lady," she nodded at her fiancé.

Keira smiled. "Thankyou." Lucy took her hand and they walked across the car park to the restaurant. Keira's smile faded as she saw the club that was next door to the restaurant, the club she and Lucy had gone to with the team the night they won the WSL Final. That had been the night Lucy proposed. It had seemed like a huge step for Lucy, but now she doubted Lucy's commitment since, as she kept remembering, it had been 2 years and they still weren't married. She came back to the present as she felt Lucy squeeze her hand three times. She looked down at their hands and smiled. She tilted her head and stared at her engagement ring as it glinted in the light of the sunset.

"Table for two please," Lucy told the waiter.

Keira pressed her lips together and looked up, giving a friendly smile to the waiter as he led them to their table.

"Anything to drink?" he asked.

"Errr, I don't..." Lucy began.

"Sherry, please," Keira cut in.

Lucy raised her eyebrows. "Early, init, Kei?" Keira didn't answer. "Then I guess I'll have...a margarita. Extra lime, please"

The waiter nodded and turned away.

"This is nice, Kei," Lucy said, smiling at her beloved.

Keira nodded, forcing a smile onto her face. Lucy noticed it.

"Keira...just tell me whats wrong."' Lucy leaned forward on the table, looking into Keira's eyes with concern. "I told you, you can tell me anything."

"Its nothing." Keira coughed. Her voice was high and strained.

Lucy sighed, her face dropping. She bounced her knee up and down in agitation. "Keira."

"Lucy. I'm fine." Keira hated herself for lying to Lucy. To be fair, it wasn't like Lucy was always honest with her. And it didn't matter anyways, how she was feeling.

Lucy looked out the window. She had no idea what to say. She wanted to bring up Lyon but she couldn't get herself to do it. "What do you think about...taking a trip?"

Keira laughed, dropping her face in her hands. "Lucia. What on earth is it this time?"

Lucy grinned, laughing at herself too. She pressed her lips together, looking down before she turned to Keira. "France."

Keira rolled her eyes. "Lucy. Come on."

"What?" Lucy cried, shrugging her shoulders. She leaned more forward across the table towards Keira.

Keira sighed. "Well, firstly...why?"

"What do you mean 'why'??"

"Luce. I just...I don't understand. What part of...anything, makes you think we can go on holiday to France right now? I mean...we're busy, your busy I'm busy...I just don't know why."