38.

6th April, 1957

"Paulie?!" John called, once again, turning the corner.

He'd been out searching for around 20 minutes now. The boy felt he'd been in every corner and on every street at this point.

And to be honest, he was too starting to loose hope.

C'mon John, Ringo may have found him...

"Paul!" John called again, wanting to scream.

The rain didn't stop pouring, to be honest it had gotten worse than before. But John didn't care that he was getting soaked, he just wanted to find George and Paul, let them know they don't have to live this life...

There was one last corner.

If they're not here- If they're not round this corner, then that's it... I'm never going to see Paul again. I should just give up.

He gripped his hands onto the stone building next to him, looking at the ground. He took a deep breath, readying himself for disappointment.

If they're here, then I'm honestly one lucky mother fu-

And there they were, facing the opposite way, George holding an umbrella.

John froze, a wide smile coming on his face. He didn't expect this, so he hadn't even thought about what he was going to say. What could he say without sounding... Sounding creepy.

He knew Paul was queer, but that didn't mean that Paul would definitely like John back. After all, he had ran away from John.

Thoughts were flowing through the boys head as he watched the other two boys walk further and further away, still having not noticed John.

Maybe not thinking about it is the best option?

So that's what he did, he didn't think about it. John jogged up to the two boys, trying to clear out his mind of even more possible scenarios.

"Paul!" He called after the boy, jogging up to him.

The two boys froze, George looking up to meet Paul's eyes. There was fear in his look.

"John..." He whispered, letting go of George's hand and slowly turning around. "I-"

"Paul, where... Where did you go?" John whispered back, his nerves threatening to show.

"H-How did you find us..." Paul asked, sounding terrified.

John immediately picked up on that.

"Hey, don't be scared..." John reassured him, reaching out a hand to caress his arm.

The other boy jumped back.

"Paul-"

"No..." Paul put an arm protectively around George's shoulder, slowly backing away. "No, we are fine, John. George isn't goin' anywhere! He's staying with me, he's okay with me, aren't you Georgie...?" He asked the younger boy, who was shaking.

He nodded back.

"Exactly, s-so whoever you've got... a-around there!" Paul stuttered out, pointing to the corner. "To- To whisk us away to some old house with all the other outcasts of children, we ain't goin'!"

John was confused at the statement.

What is he on about?

"Paul, what do you mean?" Thunder could now be heard through the clouds, the rain showing no sounds of going away.

"We're not goin' to some- some concentration camp for children! No way!" He cried out.

John could see how scared he was, the way he was holding George, so protectively.

"Paulie..." He whispered. "There is nobody behind there. Nobody's goin' to take you or George away, okay?" Paul didn't respond, he just stared at John, his eyes still terrified. "I promise you, Paulie, I would never send you to one of those places. Neither would Mimi!" He reassured.

"But-"

"Paul, we would never do that. All we want to do is help you. You can come and stay at our place, yeah?" John told him, slowly walking forward. "We'd never take George away from you."

Paul nodded, slowly letting go of George.

"Promise me, Johnny. Promise me again..." Paul whispered, creeping forwards.

"I promise you, Paulie."

John opened his arms out for the boy, who gladly accepted, embracing him. John held him tight, tighter than he'd ever held anyone else before.

Because nobody was going to take George away from Paul, he would never send them to a place like that.

Nobody would dare hurt his Paul any longer.

Nobody.