43.

7th April, 1957

Paul stirred in his sleep, his eyes slowly beginning to flutter open. The first thing he saw was George laying peacefully on a blow up mattress in the middle of the room. He looked fast asleep, and Paul had no intentions of disrupting that.

But if George was on the blow up bed, then where was Paul?

He looked around John's room, carefully turning around, noticing John next to him.

Oh God.

"J-Johnny?" Paul whispered, so that only John could hear.

When the other boy didn't even move an inch, he began to tap his shoulder lightly, moving to sit up.

"Johnny, wake up..." He whispered again, more desperate this time.

"Mmm- What...?" He said turning his head, eyes still shut.

"Why I in your bed?" Paul asked, horrified.

"Paulie?" John asked, worried, eyes slowly opening. Paul didn't reply, he just stared at John, wanting an answer. "Oh, don't worry... Last night you suggested stayin' in my bed as the blow up one was only big enough for one person." He reassured.

The other boy seemed to relax.

"Good..." He whispered, staring at John's wardrobe.

"You okay now Paulie?"

"Yeah... I had a good nights sleep for the first time in- A while..."

"Mhm, I can tell. You were out almost as soon as you lay down last night..."

Paul took his arms out from underneath the covers, in order to sort out his fringe. But he froze as he saw what he was wearing.

Pyjamas?

"These yours?" He asked John, obviously confused.

"No, Mimi's." John chuckled.

"Seriously?"

"Yeah, mine didn't fit you, too small, so George took them instead. Got you some of Mimi's old ones. They're a bit big on you... Y'know, around the waste." John explained.

"Yeah..." He sighed, looking down.

"You'll be okay, Paulie. We'll fill you up in no time." John joked, receiving a pathetic smile from the other boy. "You're safe now..."

"I know." Paul said, still staring at the wardrobe.

"Look at me, baby..."

He couldn't resist, John sounded so desperate.

"You don't have to worry about not eating anymore, or having clean clothes, or havin' anywhere to sleep. You're gonna be safe here, alright?"

"It all seems so... Surreal. 11 months ago, when he kicked me out, I never thought I'd ever have a home again. Never thought I'd even get a chance at a music career. And then you came along, and all of a sudden, I'm in a band, and now I have a home. I just can't believe it..."

"Hmm..." John replied, reaching out for Paul's hand.

"But there's still one thing..."

"What is it?"

"My b-brother." Paul stuttered out. "I haven't seen him since. My father moved to Manchester, or somewhere around that area, away from me. And I'm so worried about him, what if he's in danger, Johnny?" He looked into John's eyes.

"Oh, Paulie... I'm sorry."

"It's not your fault." He shook his head.

"Dad's are the fuckin' worst." John sighed.

"Is your dad a... bastard too."

"Yeah, I mean, of course he's nowhere near as bad as your father.... But he's a real pain in the arse." John sighed. "When I was little, he made me choose between my mum or him, I chose him... But ran after my mum when she began to walk away. I was cryin', so bad, and ever since that moment he's been really awkward with me. He wouldn't even speak to me after it first happened."

"If you don't mind me askin', why do you live with Mimi now, and not your mother?"

"Mimi was the better parent, more responsible, y'know?" Paul nodded sadly. "I sometimes see my mother, not too much though. She's not a bad person though, unlike him. He's just a selfish snob."

"Mmm." Paul replied.

"I should probably arrange to meet up with her, because I do miss her... But there just never seems like a right time. And to be honest, I have things like school and the band to focus on. Not a 'mother' who couldn't even care for me properly." He shrugged.

"Believe me when I tell you to make the most of the time you have with her. Try and make things right, because you never know... One day, she could be gone. Nothing really is forever, Johnny..."

Paul spoke, from experience.