Chapter 10: Jared's Elevator Kiss

Katelyn Bishop

The sky opened in front of her as a sapphire trinket to the day. Rippling silky clouds split the sky in curly chunks. It was as if God was using shaving cream up there. The sun ripened ahead of her against the plastered brick buildings that went on for miles. Katelyn's heels clacked alone on the pavement as she made her way to her real job. Annie had left her side a long time ago. Katelyn was alone, once again reveling in the fixtures and facets of a city of strangers and concrete.

Katelyn went on autopilot as she headed into the subway cars.

Her head was clear, but her heart was overbearing and smudged in permanent ink.

She liked Flint Morgan.

With that thought, the subway screeched at her, echoing a beg for her to hang up her feelings at the door. A frown creased her soft dimples as she slid out of her seat. She wasn't wearing work attire but she supposed that this was a new age. A new Katelyn. She stood up straighter as she rushed to the towering empire of fertilizer that was her job.

Katelyn finally got to the door and instinctively pushed the pull door.

Every one of the employees inside were chuckling and her cheeks blushed a cherry pink as she corrected herself.

You ever feel like its going to be a bad day before it even begin?

She swam in this feeling as she entered HP with a permanent frown lighting her cherry lips.

Katelyn was immediately greeted with the scent of fresh ink from the printers and someone's expensive cologne.

She could almost pick it out immediately. It smelled fancy and expensive. Kind of like the scent of grated dollar bills and wasted money.

As Katelyn made her way to the metallic elevator, the scent wafted closer and closer to her.

Surprisingly, the elevator didn't seem as cluttered as the sardine box before.

Katelyn took that as a blessing as she pressed her floor with impatience.

However, as she turned around, she bumped into a man who in return spilled his hot coffee all over her.

The liquid began sizzling away on her skin as she shuddered and winced at the pain.

A scream involuntarily bolted from her lungs as the man's eyes widened.

Looking at her ruined and now bark brown shirt she yelped, "hey! That hurt. Goddammit. This was a new shirt. You would've thought this was a slippery ice rink the way that you spilled all of your low intellect over me-"

Katelyn was interrupted in her scowling by a pair of steel eyes wrapped in tight amusement.

A smirk pulled at his perfect chiseled cheeks.

Dark hair cut across in forehead and Katelyn immediately knew who it was.

It was Jared.

Yes.

That Jared.

Jared Goddamn Morgan.

And he was looking damn handsome in a black business suit and devilishly tempting black slacks. He could make even the best of the "good girls" to turn bad. Jared's eyes crinkled in knowing that she recognized him. Jared waited patiently for Katelyn to continue with her barrage of snarky and entertaining comments.

When Katelyn didn't offer up more comments, Jared teasingly said, "What? Do I look different than my pictures?"

Katelyn looked into those deep steel wall eyes, she was distracted momentarily by his figure.