Chapter 30: Hostess Cupcakes

Drake Baxter

A tear strolled down her cheek as the door slammed shut and Kate walked out of it just like that. Turning away from Blake, Drake concealed her tears with a large sigh. The truth was that Drake knew this would happen. She just didn't know when.

Blake walked over to her. His soft hand fell to her shoulder as he forced her to turn around and face him.

Drake resisted for a moment but finally ceded.

He pulled her into a hug as her tears spun down the staircase of her cheek.

“What are we going to do?” Drake asked.

Blake took a heavy breath in as he answered. “We have to wait for her to come back. There's nothing we can do. I'm sorry…”

“No,” Drake yelled with clenched fists.

Blake just responded by holding her closer and shushing her. Drake couldn't stand that. If anything, it annoyed her even more. Drake began to push him away. Blake's face clouded with immediate confusion.

Drake wiped another tear off her face and said, “no. Kate is going to die and it's all my fault. I got her here. I wanted her to destroy Carter. It's my fault.”

Blake stepped closer to her. “You can't seriously believe that you did this.”

“I do, Blake. You can't tell me otherwise. I have to face the truth…and the truth is, I destroy everyone and everything that gets close to me.”

Blake crossed his arms at her. “You don't destroy anything, Drake.”

Drake turned away from him in response to this. Blake got annoyed at this.“Hey! Listen to me! We all make mistakes. This one isn't yours, it was her decision."

Drake was speechless and Blake only continued. “You know why she's doing this, right?”

“Because I tricked her into working to kill Carter,” Drake said with the shame running deeply in her crystal blue eyes.

Blake lifted her chin so Drake would look in his eyes. “No. She's doing this because she cares about you and Flint. You guys are the most important thing to her. Don't you see, you never destroyed anything. You built this great friendship where you two would do anything to save each other.”

“But—” she interjected.

“No,” Blake broke off her statement. “You made me care for you. You may have gotten used to seeing nothing but flaws in yourself, but do you know what I see?”

“I have no clue what you see. Honestly didn't know we were playing a game of ‘I spy', otherwise I wouldn't have let you go first,” Drake joked.

Blake didn't laugh, he just pulled Drake back into his arms, where she belonged.

Drake was speechless. Her eyes began to fixate on Blake's, just waiting for his next move. Finally, Blake moved a strand of her hair out of the way as he stared at her with those dazzling brown eyes. His fingers slowly cupped her cheek as he began drawing her towards him.

Before he moved further he said, “I see pure perfection wrapped in the vision of you.”

Suddenly, Drake's body pulled to Blake's with no help. Their lips intertwined in a brief kiss that felt like heaven. But her heaven was shortened by the knock of a door. Drake pulled away quickly from Blake.

Answering the door, Drake shook off the residual feelings. “Who is it?” she called out to the door.

“It's me,” said the familiar voice.