For Love

Chapter 3

Bai Yang Liu
Imperial Prince's Chambers

Yang Liu traced the edges of the scroll lightly using her fingers. On the night her elder brother got stabbed, he had decreed upon her the title 'Royal Princess Bai Yang Liu,' and to be formally addressed as 'Her Royal Highness Bai Yang Liu.'

This was to be presented to the court for commenting the following morning, but the fatality that happened the same night made it inappropriate to forward the motion. Elder Brother was on his deathbed, and the only time she was allowed to see him, he was barely conscious. They said he kept coming back and falling out.

The military was dispatched to locate his swordmaster, the Furian named Oren. He was the man using his blood to immerse Elder Brother's heart in the wooden chest case thus, he was the one keeping it. Moreover, it was safer with him, he was the best swordsman, who could overpower him? And adding on to the fact that her elder brother saw him as another father.

"Anyone out there?" Yang Liu rolled the scroll closed, placing it back in it's casing.

"Anything for His Royal Highness on this evening?" Her new court lady knelt before her.

"According to this scroll, everyone is to recognise me as her, she and female." She held it up. "Announce this to everyone that falls under my quarters. The rest shall be told when Elder Brother gets well."

"Your Highness, do you realise that this is too irrational? If His Majesty does not make it... you can be the next emperor if you keep yourself as you are..."

"Impudent!" General Feng growled, entering without announcement. "Who are you to make such statements?"

Yang Liu's heart started beating erratically. The last time she saw him was in YiYuan and they were not on good terms. The same was her last conversation with her elder brother. That is why he couldn't die, she needed to still apologise for her selfish behavior. She wanted to tell him that he was the best brother she could have. He was irreplaceable.

"General... forgive me." The court lady was kowtowing. Since she was new, she could not be trusted as of yet. Her loyalty seemed to be lying somewhere else. How she spoke sounded like Dowager Empress Wang. Her 'mother' had no shame. She was infiltrating her quarters to throw in traitorous ideas.

"Guards?" General Feng yelled, the vein on the left side of his temple was imprinted. When that happened, he was really angry.

Two palace guards ran in with swords in hand.

"Take her out and beat her to death for her treasonous words!"

The court lady screamed for mercy. She expressed regret, crying that no one will be left to support her family. They hurled her out as she fought them to let her go, so she could kiss General's feet for forgiveness.

At their exit, General's eyes softened as they captured Yang Liu's. She avoided them, not wanting to have her walls broken. There were more pressing questions that she needed answers to from him. Nervously straightening her robes, she walked to the window where her flowers were happily blooming. She couldn't wait to start wearing graceful women hanfu too.

Concerning the decree, this welcoming room of hers will have to be renovated alongside other rooms, to possess a feminine theme. She was going to ask Elder Brother to bestow her quarters with a flowery name too. In her yard were many apricot trees that her and General Feng planted in their young days, a name related to apricots would be proper. If it was still day, she would see the apricot trees through the windows.

"How are you?"

She knew he asked these words looking at her back, trying to figure her mood today.