His Favourite

✿✿✿

"A storm, a threat capable of devouring empires. You, my love, a harbinger of destruction, the greatest downfall bringer, my ultimate weakness, you, my love, will always be my sweetest misery." Yuwen Hong

Quote By Ei_Daisuki

✿✿✿

The above quote gave me chills and had my heart beating. This is beyond beautiful.

It had me happy that someone was inspired by the story to write such words. Like this is basically something the emperor would say to Li Lian. The person who wrote this understands the characters just as the writer does. That leaves me happy because it means I'm able to express what I feel to the extent that you guys are catching what I'm feeling.

Lost for words, happy reading.

✿✿✿

Chapter 19

Emperor Huizhong
Bai Shen Hong
Palace Garden

The emperor's robes were the colour of brown lychee. Everyone was to dress in any brown shade for the lychee tea testing. He entered the palace garden with his retinue trailing behind him.

Consort Wang did well on the organising of the event. She was running the Inner Court in assistance to the Grand Dowager since he locked the Empress Dowager. That was one sore off his back.

"Did Noble Consort Qi help or it was only Consort Wang who organized?" He was curious.

"Yes, Your Majesty. Noble Consort Qi helped." Court Lady Nam answered from behind.

That was good. With Dowager Empress Wang gone, Noble Consort Qi would have space to make a name for herself. She didn't have to hide behind poems anymore, letting people shame her and Consort Wang acting as if she is the highest-ranked woman in his harem.

Noble Consort Qi was the highly ranked, yet in the public's eyes she was undeserving, so there was only one consort to them: Consort Wang. That was a story for another day.

The garden was lively with the brought-in lychee trees decorating the place.

The eunuchs holding the dragon flags, leading the way shouted, "His Majesty arrives!"

Everyone rose and bowed, servants falling on their knees and his women bending themselves in a curtsey. "Morning greetings to His Majesty, the emperor!" They stilled as he walked on the made way between two elongated tables. Along the length of them, was his women seating according to ranks. Those who would seat closer to his main table were highly titled.

As a second class female attendant, Li Lian sat by the exit, at the edge of the table. She was one of the lowliest of his women, yet she was the one who held a big portion of his heart.

Where Shen Hong was to sit was an enthroned granite seat etched with patterns, the shape of lychee tree leaves. Next to the enormous seat were planted lychee trees, with his mother and Grand Dowager seated at each of the seat's sides respectively. They were the only women qualified to sit at his table.

He strolled to his seat, sat and raised his head to the awaiting audience. "Take your seats."

The harem sat at his instructions. Standing by them were their court ladies that helped them sit gracefully.

For most of the women, it was only this chance they got to see him. This is why many made excessive efforts in dressing themselves to perfection. This was their once in a while opportunity to get his attention. Shen Hong allowed only one event per moon where he would entertain the harem with his presence.