Caged Animal

Warning: Scenes may have triggers for victims of abuse.

Chapter 60

Imperial Concubine Wei
Wei Li Lian

She felt someone carry her under the dark clouds, the cold night air freezing and frosting her to the bone. The owls hooted, insects chirped, while the quietness of the place frightened her.

Where was she?

Where was Yuwen Hong?

She wondered… but she was gone again before figuring out the answers.

The next time she was being choked by huge rough hands, struggling to breathe against the torture. She felt a cold hand snake up her thighs, the place Yuwen Hong had yet to touch and explore. A part of her body stolen by the man she didn't know.

He began to tug on her underwear and she gagged, quite repulsed. Her body… her body was painstakingly weak to react, too weak to say no and have a say.

The last words she heard were. “Leave her alone. She is beautiful, we could use her to take care of us later on. Let's concentrate on escaping right now.”

Many people think that in their last-second of facing death they will be scared of doing anything. They will be a statue and a willing victim that will easily succumb to the fate of life.

But at most that is not what it is like. When facing death you have nothing to lose, you are the most willful, and with all of yourself you shall fight to survive.

The place she was in was shaky. It kept moving and bumping her head. It was unstable and uncaring for her.

Due to hitting surfaces because of the movements, she nursed a headache. Opening her eyes was also the most difficult thing as any measure of light was a struggle to wrestle against.

Li Lian sat up, realising she was in a moving wagon. She then rested herself against the wooden plank of the enclosed wagon and focused on inspecting her surroundings.

She was not alone. There was Concubine Pi opposite her, Consort Wang to her right, and a familiar concubine to her left.

The four of them were in the same circumstance, legs tired, hands tired and mouth covered by a dirty cloth.

Tears were in the eyes of Concubine Pi. Her brows furrowed, mirroring her worry and anxiety. Her protruding belly pushed up and down as she warily breathed.

Li Lian turned her head to look through the small space between the joined planks of the wagon. She wondered where they were and the place they were headed to, but all she saw were grasslands and trees, vast and unending under the sunrise .

Since she did not know the people who kidnapped her, she had no idea where they would end up, what were their intentions and whether they would die or leave.

More inspection of the wagon, as she tried to come up with an idea of how they could escape. Where there was a will there was a way. There was no way she was going to keep moving from one prison to the next in her life. She was not a caged animal. Freedom was her primal need.

Concubine Pi had her legs by Li Lian’s waist and Li Lian’s legs were by Concubine Pi's waist as well. This way of seating gave Li Lian an idea. She went on to incline her back diagonally and exacted pressure on her core to lift both of her legs.

Concubine Pi’s eyes enlarged, not sure what Li Lian was doing.

Both of Li Lian's feet were bare as she had been sleeping and only in her nightwear when they were attacked. The same was applicable to the other women―they were all white swans.