Spilt Milk

Chapter 44

Bai Shen Hong
The Dragon Palace

Shen Hong rinsed his mouth with the sweetened water after his large feast. He sighed. At that time, the best way to end his day would be flirting with Li Lian and trying to get her to strip for him.

If only that was the case because reality was, he still needed to deal with the morning's issue. Throughout the day, everyone sought his audience to share their opinions concerning the matter. His mother came, who he refused to see because she was an obvious bias for Li Lian. Consort Wang came, who he also refused to see because she was an obvious bias for the ruin of Li Lian.

He objected to any minister's advice. In their eyes, this was a chance to gain power. Not many could be trusted concerning the issue.

He received the investigation and interrogation results stamped by the Grand Dowager's seal, who stated that he should answer to the drama and she was not sure what to do as this matter involved the concubine he liked and all the evidence offered was here-say. It was everyone's word against the other. Thus the truth was with Li Lian and Cai Wenjin.

"More wine," he instructed the servants clearing his huge dining table. "And Court Lady Nam, have Princess Cai Wenjin meet me in the study room."

"Yes, Your Majesty." She left the dining room.

That morning, he was practising with his generals when Luo Meng reported the drama at the palace garden. As a father, he worried about his daughter's well being. As a lover, he worried about Li Lian's mental health. It was on the previous day that Li Lian showed signs of depression. Could he carry a coherent opinion and judge fairly when he was in a conflict of interest?

Shen Hong sat on the zabuton cushion in the centre of his Dragon Palace study room, when Princess Cai Wenjin entered, being ushered in by Court Lady Nam. His heart softened.

"Princess." His daughter's bruises and welts were vicious on her pale skin even in the dimness of the room lit by candles. He hoped they wouldn't be scars that would ruin his daughter's future marriage negotiations. Anything belonging to him deserved the best, Cai Weinjin deserved the best.

"Fuhuang!" Princess Cai Wenjin ran into her father's arms. "Fuhuang, I missed you!" Her little hands held onto her father's broad shoulders.

"Look at you!" He pulled her back, examining her closely. "All these bruises and lashes." Each one was going to equate to a head rolling on the ground for such irresponsibility. "What happened to my princess?"

Her lips trembled and her head shook, refusing to answer. Tears accumulated in her eyes and threatened to flood her cheeks.

"Princess?" Shen Hong needed names. Only bloodshed could appease his desire for revenge.

"I don't want to die. Don't ask me!"

"Princess may not raise her voice towards His Majesty," Court Lady Nam rebuked without mercy.

Cai Wenjin bit her lips as the first tears flowed on her cheeks. She sniffed and sniveled sadly.

"If you tell me who it was, I will reward you. Didn't you say you wanted a big white horse like mine so that you may learn horse riding?"

She nodded, hesitating.

"Then tell me."

She stayed quiet, not saying anything.

"Cai Wenjin," he encouraged. "You can tell Fuhuang anything." Shen Hong wiped the tears for her.

"It's... it's..."