Chapter 6 - Overthinking and Overstepping

"And you know, I don't understand why he would say that to me...I'm supposed to be his best friend and he should be mine, but instead he says such hurtful things. But I don't know, I'm probably just overthinking and- wow, fuck...I will stop complaining about my idiot of a best friend now...I'm sorry" I said, a little embarrassed to be honest that I had lost myself once again. 

Charles was looking at me intensely, not angry nor annoyed or even sweet, just like he was listening and actually interested in what I had to say, even if he didn't know either me or Nick and my problems were none of his concern. He leaned back in his seat, as I confessed to my embarrassment, crossing his arms in front of his chest, looking at me. He gave me one nod before saying "Continue", making me frown. 

"But this is not interesting at all and even though I was never on a date before, I do know that this is not how to make a good first impression" I retorted, taking a sip from my water. My very expensive water and I regretted not speaking up and just asking to go somewhere a little cheaper. I had saved up some money from my summer job as a coach for the kids football team and my dad didn't have to pay for my tuition, so he was giving me a little bit of money every month, but I was not a big spender. I liked to save my money, but apparently, now I had to dig a little deeper into the pocket. Oh and don't even get me started on the food. It was amazing and to die for, but the prices were...heavy.

"But its important to you and everybody needs to blow off some steam once in a while. I don't mind, I would even give you some advice if you asked for it, but if you just want to rant about your selfish roommate, I don't mind" he said and if anybody else would have said that, I would have probably thought that they were being sarcastic, but Charles didn't look passive aggressive. He just stared at me and waited for me to continue, but I was honestly a little dumbfounded by his remark. 

"So your roommate, Nick, he is your best friend since forever and suddenly, out of nowhere, he kisses you?" he asked, probably to keep the conversation flowing, which was weird but also kind of sweet I guess. "Correct" I said and Charles nods. 

"And then he blames it on you, not believing himself that he could kiss you" Charles stated and I nodded again "Me being another guy" I said and this time Charles shook his head. 

"No, you. Not you another guy, you being you" he said and I frowned. Wasn't that the same thing. I didn't ask, because Charles saw my confusion and so went to explain on further "I don't know him, but it sounds like he was more frightened by the fact that he kissed you, Jaxson, his best friend and not that he kissed another dude. Otherwise he would just keep on telling you he was straight, but he is just as confused as you are. He blamed it on you, saying he wouldn't make a move without you doing one first, right?" 

"Yes but I don't think-" 

"Do you think if there had been any other guy there in your place, and that guy would have actually initiated the kiss, your best friend would have given into it?" Charles asked.

"Well...no I don't know-" 

"And he talked about how he wants to date somebody like you, but what you missed to hear was that he wants you, not somebody like you. He has probably suppressed that feeling to the very back of his head and suddenly, something just pulled it forward. Maybe because somebody dumped him and that was an unusual experience for him, putting him in a new and unfamiliar situation and you were there for him, the only stable thing in his life and that suppressed feeling was just overpowering him. 

I don't think he actually realizes that he likes you, I think he overcompensates that feeling by not only sleeping with other girls, but actually tricking himself into believing that he's in love with them and he is now so hurt that you are on a date, here with me, because for the first time, this could actually mean something, if I play my cards right, and whenever he was talking about you settling down like him, he actually meant with him, but didn't realize it until he lost you" Charles finished, leaving me totally and utterly in shock and baffled. H-How...