Chapter 10 - Open up

Waking up in Nicks arms once more, realizing that all of this hadn't been a very weird, but amazing dream, astounded me as the morning came. This time, Nick didn't wake up when my alarm called me, letting me carefully sneak out of his embrace, taking my pillow, that also smelled like me and giving him a new teddy bear. I looked at my sleeping best friend, who I really had to stop calling exactly that, biting my lip. But what else should I call him? We hadn't spoken one word about what the hell we were doing right now. 

And I would not go back in the closet. Hell, I was never really in one, no way in hell would I hide myself again. Maybe for a while, but not without actually having something to hold onto. We didn't have to go around, shouting that we were banging, which we weren't, but you get my point, no, I just wanted to know if I was some sort of experiment or not. But I shook those thoughts off, as I took my bag, after setting Nick a few alarms so he would make it to his classes for once, silently leaving the room. 

I was once again giving everything I had at practice and it felt amazing. I wasn't even really tired after practice and when everybody made their way to the showers, coach held be back. "Whats up coach?" I asked, panting a bit. I took my bottle of water and gulped down some before drying my with sweat covered forehead with a towel the coach handed me. He walked over to the bench and motioned for me to have a seat, before he started to massage my shoulders. God, I really was a trophy dog here, wasn't I? 

"Come on son, you can be honest with me. What are you taking?" he asked, rubbing my sore shoulder blades, so my muscles wouldn't be aching in the morning. Taking? What the hell did he mean by that? 

"What do you mean coach?" I asked, turning my head to look at him. Coach sighed in defeat, letting go of my shoulders and sitting down besides me. He looked like he was disappointed, but more with himself than with me. Oh man, what the hell was he doing? 

"I'm sorry if I put too much pressure on you the other day. I shouldn't have come for you after one bad practice! I'm sorry Jaxson, but now you gotta be honest with me son. Is it steroids? Cocaine? Speed? We can get you clean and nobody has to know about this, we will keep it low and you can still play this season and I can help you through the tough phase of sobering up, but you gotta help me here" coach said, making me look at him in disbelieve. Wait.

"You think I'm on drugs?" I asked, frowning, but internally almost laughing at my own question. 

"Jaxson, I know the signs. You were very miserable the last two weeks and suddenly, you have the energy of a three year old on crack! I don't judge you, ok? I want to make this very clear and I mean, you aren't the first one and you are not going to be the last player that needs a special boost once in a while. But it has to stop, ok? I just want to help you here" my coach said and now I actually had to laugh, making him frown in confusion. 

"Sorry to disappoint you coach, but I'm not high. If I was taking speed right now, you would probably still see me running tracks" I joked and coach looked even more confused. 

"Really? Jaxson, I want to believe you and I will, if you assure me, that you aren't high or took anything else, ok?" Coach asked again and I chuckled, holding back my laughter. Oh man did I really seem like I was taking drugs? I mean, yes, my performance was better, but that was just because I was...happy? I guess? Apparently if your mind isn't stuffed with confusing thoughts and for once in a life you actually have something you want to keep, that can have a similar affect that cocaine. "I promise" I said and Coach looked just lost at this point. 

"But...did you start a new diet? Cut something out? Maybe we could use it for the rest of the team, if it isn't something illegal! I mean, whatever has changed, it sure did wonders to your performance" Coach said and I chuckled, standing up and handing him my towel.