Part 13 - Second Date

I'm going at work with a different vibe today. I haven't been here in four days and I feel happy to be back. Happy to be around my friends. Happy to be in a work place and not in a hotel with him on the other side of the hall. What I did during that trip was awful. I hate myself for it and think about his poor wife all the time.

I concentrate at work to come back to reality and remember that I've left a lot of things unfinished when I started working with Downey a week ago. Working at the office now seems boring compared to the work I was doing the previous week. And not only because it had pleasure in between, but because it was way more interesting.

All I see now are numbers, algorithms, stocks, finances but before we were actually working on a brilliant idea. Downey's job has to be way more interesting than mine. We all have to start somewhere, right? He had my job, or one familiar, before he became CEO. I just have to be patient.

"Come in" I say after hearing a knock on the door.

I can already tell it's Malcolm from the playful way he knocks every time.

"Finally! It was getting so boring without you around" he says smiling.

"It's good to be back. Believe it or not, I missed this place"

"You certainly didn't miss me, did you? Downey must be a delight" he says playfully and I gulp.

"Why would you say that?" I ask hoping he didn't learn anything about Downey and me.

"Well, you said you were going to call me back and you never did. I assumed Downey was the reason. You must've been drowning in work"

"Oh my God, I totally forgot. I'm so sorry" I exhale that breath I had been holding in the whole time he was replying to me.

"It's okay, don't worry about it. I'm sure under other circumstances you wouldn't have forgotten" he smiles sweetly at me.

"Yes, you know Downey. He kept me occupied during the whole trip" I laugh nervously.

"How was he? Any more friendly than he usually is?"

"You'd be surprised" I smile.

"How about the meetings?"

"Downey did most of the work but they went great. If he gets the green light for this idea, which I think he will, we'll be on another level in a few months" I say passionately.

"It's not just him, don't forget that. Anyway, would you join me for a beer after work?"

"Only if you promise it'll be as fun as the last time" I laugh remembering the fun night out we had together.

"Perfect. I have to go back to work but I'll try to find something interesting for later" he smiles and stands up.

"I believe in you" I say and he chuckles.

"I better up my game then. It's our second date" he says smiling.

"You left a very good impression on the first date, don't ruin it now" I tease him.

"Yes, ma'am" he smiles and leaves.

We were getting close to the end of the day and I hadn't seen Downey at all. It felt strange not seeing him after all the time we spent together. Normally, it wouldn't feel like that. After all, I wasn't even talking with him until the incident with the intern. Maybe he's not coming to the office today, it's not like he's here all of the time. Before I even realized it, it was 5 o'clock and Malcolm was standing outside my office. I got my stuff and met him at the door.

We were walking down the hall towards the exit together, sharing a laugh, when my eye caught Downey. He was wearing one of his usual expensive suits and his beard was clean shaven. He wasn't looking at us but when he started walking to his office he saw us. We were walking on the exact opposite direction and for a moment I lost my focus on what Malcolm was saying. I was too focused on Downey and the split second of eye contact we had before we walked past each other. I could see the glimpse of his smirk but this time it didn't bother me. I could even say I enjoyed it since I caught myself smiling back. I could even smell the scent of his perfume for the next couple of seconds but then it disappeared.