Part 26 - Apologies

Another few days after this mess with Downey and I'm getting my life in order. We haven't talked ever since, we've only exchanged some looks from down the hallway and I'm happy with that. More than anything, I'm happy that I finally have a normal relationship with a guy that actually cares about me and I'm out of the drama I put myself into.

I'm having my break with Malcolm in the office, since we were both too lazy to go out for lunch today. Some days a simple meal from the vending matching and a nice conversation are enough to relax. We decide to get a cup of coffee before we start working again so we enter the kitchen. That's when I see Downey in the corner of the room chatting and being friendly with an intern.

I roll my eyes remembering the time I caught him with the other intern and then get my eyes off of them before I get caught staring. I must've lost my concentration for a minute because I totally didn't hear what Malcolm was saying but he gladly repeated himself. A couple of minutes later Downey walks behind Malcolm and nods me to follow him to his office.

I sigh slightly and turn my focus back to Malcolm to make sure he didn't understand anything. I continue our conversation for another minute or so and then find a way to interrupt it and use an excuse to leave him. I peck his lips and then go over to Downey's office. His assistant tells me he's waiting for me so I get in and close the door behind me.

I confidently walk over to him and take a seat on a chair in front of his desk. He's sitting in a bossy and powerful way while his eyes have a strong stare on me. He clears his throat and crosses his arms ready to speak.

"Thank you for coming so quickly, Ms. Beck"

I don't hear him saying thank you frequently, it's a nice change.

"I remember you get moody when I'm late" I say and he smiles.

"See? You learned important things from me. We make a great team" he raises his one eyebrow.

"That's doubtful. May I ask why you called me over here?" I ask patiently and he sighs.

"Of course, I want to apologize for the other night. I promise you that I won't be showing up like that anymore, no matter how pleasant my appearance might end up being" he looks me in the eyes while saying it and I can see him smirking when he refers to the pleasure.

"That's good to know. I take that the fighting is over in paradise" I refer to his fight with his wife.

"Yes, everything's back to normal" he nods.

"That's why you're harassing the interns again?" I ask playfully.

"I'm not harassing anyone, Ms. Beck. Don't forget that it's in my job description to guide the interns" his tone is calm.

"So that's all that was? Work?" he chuckles to my question and brushes his thumb over his lips while smiling.

"What if I said no? Would you be jealous?" he asks amused.

"Of course not. If you remember correctly I'm the one who asked for us to be over" I say shaking my head.

"Alright, but know that I can read you like an open book. If you get jealous I'll know it" he says proudly.

"You know nothing about me and you surely can't read me" I disagree.

"I know plenty of things about you, Ms. Beck" he says standing up.

"I know you're hard working" he's slowly walking over to my side of the desk.

"I know you always roll your eyes when you're annoyed, like before in the kitchen" he continues saying proudly.