Part 38 - Change

It's been a few more days since Downey told me he would tell the truth to his wife and get a divorce. He seems more sceptical and zoned out at the office everyday. We find work excuses to visit each other's offices but in reality it's just about each other's company and to get a few warm kisses. I don't want to pressure him into talking to Susan. He said he wants to do it and he will. I understand how painful it will be for him and for her. She's finally going to find out the truth about her husband. The man she spent so many years with. I don't even want to imagine what she will go through to recover from that.

I go over to his office to find him and see him sitting on his chair, facing the windows. He must be lost in his thoughts because he didn't seem like he heard me come in. I carefully place my hands on his shoulders and massage him. He turns his head to see me and gives me a soft smile.

"How are you?" I ask even though I know it's a stupid question. I see him, I can see how he is.

"Well, you know" he says between his teeth and sighs.

"Anything I can do to help?"

"No. Sit, I have to tell you something" he says and I take a seat.

"I'm doing it today" he says looking down.

"Have you thought about how?" I hope for even a second of eye contact to see his eyes but he's avoiding mine.

"I haven't done anything else for the past week. Everytime I even have some courage to say something she does something to remind me how great she's been to me and how much of an as*hole I've been so I stay quiet" he rubs his face with his hands.

"It's normal to be afraid to tell her the truth. It must be killing her to know too, you said she's already suspecting you" since I get no sign of an eye contact I stretch my arm and place my palm over his.

"I'm a coward, that's what I am. I should've told her from the first time I cheated on her. But no, I decided to keep doing it and now I've made things so much worse" he sounds desperate.

"These decisions belong to the past, just make sure you're certain about today" I say softly, trying to reassure him.

"Can I stay at your place tonight? She'll definitely kick me out or decide to leave the house but I don't want her roaming around during the night" he gulps sharply.

"Of course, let me know when it's done, I'll wait for you" I caress his hand with mine.

We stayed in his office for a few more minutes but I had to leave before it became suspicious. This visit even made me nervous, I can't imagine how it is like for him. He will most likely be emotionally broken when he comes by my house tonight. I have to stay strong for him and support him.

The following hours were a torture. I had no sign of him. I didn't know if he talked to his wife or not. If he was going to do it or if he changed his mind. I didn't know what to do. If I sent a text or called him and he was in the middle of their argument it would make things so much worse. So I waited and waited until a text came in.

"It's done" is all he said.

I felt my stomach tighten. He talked to his wife. He really did it, for me. But how can I be happy when he's so confused himself?

"Are you coming over?" I reply to his text and wait.

I don't get an answer which makes me worried as time passes. Why is he not replying? Is he on his way here? Did something happen to him? I found myself sighing and looking at my phone very frequently. I called and texted him again but there was still no sign of him. He'd be here if he was on his way when he texted me.