[31] mars.

Moon Colonies News: Blueline—the most famous race in the solar system—is happening soon and everyone is invited to Ganymede to watch it live. Come all, come bet with your lives, and see if you have what it takes to predict who the best driver is.

 Come all, come bet with your lives, and see if you have what it takes to predict who the best driver is

Out of the three factions that ruled the solar system, The Kingdom was the largest and wealthiest. It was the first to board spaceships to Mars and Jupiter—the first colonized planets, alongside Venus—after Earth became inhabitable. The solar system wouldn't be where it was today if it wasn't for them and the wealthy families that founded it.

"Esma, how long will this line take?" J asked the Corpse Flower's AI while drumming on his chair's arms. With Patrick gone, he allowed her to pilot the spaceship—her main role was detecting system malfunctions.

"Not long, Master J," Esma replied through the speakers. She used to call him by his full name, Julian Tello. But after Patrick's arrival, she adopted the synth's stance on everything.

J leaned back in his seat and stared out the window. Hundreds of spaceships waited in line to enter Mars. A force field protected the planet from enemies and unforeseen attacks.

Inspection Stations surrounded the planet, each one looking like a stack of binoculars, with Inspectors having the final say on whether or not someone could enter Mars.

"Master J," Dennis called.

J turned to the bot on the floor. Purple blood covered its body after cleaning Patrick's room. I hope he cleans himself soon. "Yes?"

"Do you want to talk about it? About Patrick, I mean. I know he was more than it. I was referring to the situation at hand, involving him and—"

You miss him, don't you? "I know what you mean, Dennis. But now's not the right time."

The bot's eyes lowered sideways, indicating sadness. Dennis was the first one to get an emotion-chip. The engineers had believed if it worked on bots, then it would on synthetics.

"Maybe later." Months later.

"Affirmative, Master J." Dennis walked away with slumped shoulders.

J's heart thumped faster than normal. He put a hand on his chest, and it tapped against his palm. Dennis' last words reminded him of Patrick, and he didn't want to think of him right now. He had important things to take care of on Mars. Whatever Patrick was up to, he trusted the synth to deal with it and return.

"Master J, it's our turn," Esma announced.

Finally. "Send them in."

The airlock opened. A man and woman in red power suits entered, laser rifles slung on their backs and neutralizers on their hips. Ten drones hovered around them.

"Welcome, Inspectors. I'm Detective Julian Tello." He shook their hands.

"Me wi guh look around," the woman told the man, who nodded at her. Five drones followed her.