[49] the big picture.

Moon Colonies News: There has been an increase in missing underwear on Titania. Most believe this to be the work of Mr. Underwear, who is a thief inspired by Mr. Shoelaces. Sheriff Erica Kowalski (leader of the moon) has asked the citizens for patience as they search for the thief. No one knows what Mr. Underwear does with them, and they don't want to find out.

Detective J hadn't known what to expect at the edge of the system, but it wasn't this

Detective J hadn't known what to expect at the edge of the system, but it wasn't this. Anything but this. The horror expressions on the barons' faces showed they hadn't expected it either. This was the worst-case scenario. He didn't know what else to do—there was nothing he could do—so he stayed silent.

Hundreds of mutilated corpses floated in space like debris. Half of them wore the assigned uniform from The Universal Authority: dark green with the letters "TUA" above their left breast. The other half wore tight, colored clothes: Earthers.

It looked like a battle had taken place. With there being two destroyed spaceships—the largest one belonging to TUA—an amateur detective would've thought they had fought. But that wasn't the case. The damage was too precise to be caused by projectiles. This was the work of the golem—the claw marks on the spaceships proved it.

A large piece of metal from the small spaceship floated past J, and he sighed. Dammit. "Those idiots."

"What's wrong?" Baron Dante asked.

Baron Nina and Baron Hippolyta also looked at the detective.

"Have you ever heard of the Aliens Are Real Organization from Earth?" J asked.

The three barons nodded.

J pointed at the large piece of metal with the words "Aliens Are Real" on it. "The Universal Authority has been trying to get Earth to stop these fools from getting a permit to go search for aliens. But Earth's president said no, allowing Finga Myhole and his group of zealots to do as they want."

Syla War had told J planetary officials were desperate to be the first ones to have aliens on their planets. All they cared about were the potential economic benefits of it and not the danger. It was why the Science Division in TUA existed. It had trained men, women, and machines to search and deal with aliens. If they met non-hostile ones, then the diplomats would speak to them. And if not... Well, TUA hoped that wouldn't be the case.

"I don't feel sorry for fanatics," Baron Nina said. "They should have stayed home like the dogs they were. Now, look at them: dead and accomplished nothing."

That's harsh, J thought.

As their spaceship headed inside the large one, it struck some corpses and broke them into pieces. The sight brought a sour taste to J's mouth. Death wasn't new to him. He had seen it so many times; he thought he was immune to it. But this was on a different scale: the location, the murderers, and the victims. It was a new avenue for him, and he had to get used to it quickly.