[40] end of one adventure. beginning of another.

Space News: Mr. Shoelaces has issued a challenge to Ms. Shoelaces, saying whoever can steal the most shoes in a week will be crowned as the Undisputed Shoelace Thief.

 Shoelaces, saying whoever can steal the most shoes in a week will be crowned as the Undisputed Shoelace Thief

The Rocketeers occupied the front seat while talking to each other. Wolf would've known what they were discussing if they hadn't put up a force field between him and them. Sitting at the back, he stared out of the shuttle. He almost died fighting the mutants. Thankfully, Chichi and Bentlee saved him in time.

"If I can't handle mindless beasts, how can I stop Cleopatra?" he muttered.

"The mutants didn't seem mindless to me. They had coordinated attacks. How else did they think surrounding you would block your escape?" Wednesday said.

Wolf had no answer. He sighed, then glanced at The Rocketeers. They spoke and gazed at him from time to time. "What do you think they are talking about?"

"If I was to guess, your performance against the mutants. They said they would assess you before deciding if you were worthy of being a freelancer."

"I don't remember them using the word worthy."

"Do you want me to read their lips and tell you what they're saying?"

"No." Outside the shuttle, there wasn't any vegetation north of Deadland Sudan. "Are you positive they are talking about my performance?"

"I'm not Positive. I'm Wednesday."

Wolf rolled his eyes.

Wednesday chuckled. "Yes, I'm positive."

The Rocketeers finished their discussion and turned off the force field. Chichi took command of the shuttle after setting it on auto-drive. Bentlee sat beside her, while Zorro and Lola went to Wolf.

Wolf gulped. He couldn't read their stony expressions, so he fell down the paranoia hole. Placing his hand on his chest, his heart thumped against his palm. This was his worst fear; finding people he liked and them not wanting anything to do with him.

Lola sat beside him and held his hand. "Wolfie, like, we were talking, and like, we decided..." She glanced at Zorro, who nodded at her.

Wolf gulped. This was it; the moment of truth. He hadn't realized how much he wanted to be part of The Rocketeers until when they were about to tell him their decision.

"We have, like, decided to make you a freelancer for us." Lola smiled.

Wolf sighed in relief. His shoulders slumped after the weight on them vanished. "I thought I blew it back there with the mutants, seeing as The Lady and The Mage had to save me."

"That's what teams art for. We protect each other. Thither art many times whither I hath to be saved, and that goeth for the others as well. Don't worry about it. Thee showed quick thinking when thee ran from the mutants and opened a space for us to finish the rest with ease."