[44] where things stand.

Beltan News: In the Ziggy colony; billionaire, philanthropist, and playboy Ziggy Diggy Liggy The Twentieth is hosting a nude birthday celebration and he has invited every supermodel, pageant winner, actress, and female politician he considers beautiful. He plans to make his 40th birthday the best birthday since his last.

Wolf stared at the holo-screen showing Rainbow and Cleopatra standing next to each other

Wolf stared at the holo-screen showing Rainbow and Cleopatra standing next to each other. Ragdoll had taken the picture after saving the other coyotes from the pair.

"Wednesday, are we friends?" Wolf asked.

"I would like to think so after working together for this long."

"Then why did you lie to me about Rainbow's whereabouts?" He leaned back in his seat and swatted his hand, closing the screen. The darkness of space surrounded him as The Anastasia hovered outside Earth, with its back to the dead planet.

"I didn't lie."

"Then what would you say you did?"

"I omitted information you weren't supposed to know."

"I see." Wolf rubbed his face, frustrated at his lack of knowledge regarding his best friend. From how the other coyotes had described her—and how he knew her—it sounded like two different people. The Rainbow he knew did everything she could to avoid confrontations. It was why she never left Paradiso. It was safe there. And if someone tried to harm her, the other traders would protect her. "Do you at least know where she is?"

Silence.

"Wednesday, I asked you a question."

Silence.

"If you want me to buy you a sleeve, then you'll have to answer my questions."

"Are you blackmailing me?"

Wolf chuckled. "Define blackmail."

"The act of forcing someone to do or pay something by threatening to reveal a secret."

"Is that what's happening here?"

"No."

"Then please answer my question if you want me to risk my life to capture Cleopatra and buy you a sleeve."

Wednesday sighed. "As you know, Rainbow created me. And with that, as long as I'm an AI, I can't disobey her. It's in my programming. But sleeves have programs that counter the loyalty programming."

"So a sleeve will give you freedom?"

"Yes."

Even though Wednesday was smarter than humans, she was under the control of one. And no matter what she did, or how independent she seemed, she would always be Rainbow's possession.

"Rainbow told you not to tell me where she is, right?"

"Yes."

Wolf's eyes widened, surprised that Wednesday answered him. "Is she still on Earth?"