Chapter 1: Matter

"You know naman na when it comes to basic chemistry, you have to understand the terms and definitions. It's not like applied chemistry na maiintindihan mo once you know how to practically do it. Though, basic chemistry is all about the knowledge that you have. But when it comes to applied chemistry, it's how you use the knowledge that you have gain." I said while pointing out to Monique the basic difference.

Andito kami ngayo sa may Coffee Bean ng Double Dragon Plaza near Moa. Nagrequest kasi siya ng tulong tungkol sa basics ng chemistry and biochemistry kaya agad ko naman siyang dinaluhan.

"Why didn't you take medicine, Arya. You could be a good student." She said at ngumuso. Agad naman akong natawa dahil sa sinabi niya.

"You know that medicine is one of my option but the least one." I said agad naman siyang napatango. I saw her flip another book at nandoon ang iba't-ibang klase ng Biological Molecules. I saw how she frown at the sight kaya agad naman akong napangiti.

"You know I love the thought of saving lives but the thought na kailangan ko aralin lahat ng 'to. Mixing up chemistry with biology, feeling ko mababaliw na ko sa dami ng informations!" she hissed at dumausdos sa table.

"You know, Nique. Just take it in slowly. For example, the basic foundation of chemistry is dealing with matter, simply atoms. Kung saan sila gawa, paano sila nabubuo or kung ano ung process na nag-uundergo sila in order to be stabilize. Since ang primary rule or purpose ng isang atom is to stabilized itseld, with that concept, pwede siyang mag bond or sumama sa ibang atoms and elements to try to be stable. For example sa tao, when you try to be with your friends or your family, you reach the stability that you need in order to grow. That's the concept of chemistry." I said at nakita ko ang kaunting pag-asa na sumilay sa mukha niya na naintindihan ang mga bagay na sinabi ko. I smile at her and point at the differenct biological molecules na nasa harap niya.

"While in biology?" I asked her at tinignan niya ako ng may pagtatanong sa mga mata, natawa naman ako to see na medyo na ooverwhelm siya sa sinabi ko. Monique is a great student, may hard time lang siya umintindi ng lessons but she is really good because she strives harder than anyone else. And I like her because of that.

"Biology is the study of anything that has life or living organism." She said enthusiastically. I nod to indicate na tama ang sagot niya.

"And how does chemistry comes in the way? In a human body, what is the basic unit of life?" I ask, she look at and look at the diagrams below.

"Cells" She said at agad naman akong tumango.

"But beyond cells, it is still composed of tiny organelles, those organelles maybe compose of polymers or simple macromolecules. Molecules are composed of tiny, elements and elements are of atoms. So again, anong definition ng chemistry?" natatawang tanong ko kaya agad naman siyang napangiti.

"Chemistry deals with the study of atoms, it's composition and interaction." She simply said at nakita kong mas nabuhayan naman siya ng loob na aralin ang mga nasa harap niya. It's good to see na namomotivate ko siya kahit papaano.

"Arya, I have question," She said kaya agad naman akong humarap sa kanya.

"You know, sorry sa pang-aasar naming ni Annica noong nakraan. We just share the same thought though but I honestly want to talk to you about this." She said, sa tono palang ng pananalita niya alam ko na agad kung saan pupunta ang usapan naming. Agad akong huminga ng malalim to know if I'am ready to answer any of her questions. And I guess wala naman akong kawala sa kanya so I just took a sip of my frappe.

"After everything, for the past four years, does it still matter to you?" Agad akong napatingin sa kanya dahil sa tanong niya.

"We never openly talked about this topic, and you know, the thing that we witnessed back then, iniisip ko kung naapektuhan ka pa 'rin ba? Maybe subconsciously it's really hunting you." She said at umiwas ng tingin sa akin. I feel like I space out by her question. The mind has the audacity to play with you, even the simplest memory could be traumatic, that's what I know but when Monique is asking me know, I don't know. It feels like everything were just a blissful memory, parang lahat ng nangyari, it was never real, made only by my own mind.