Chapter 1: The Encounter

Dark... Darker... Yet Darker...
Darkness spreading out into infinity...
Like a starry sky... each star representing a different universe...
But separated by the black void... the nothingness in between realities...
Whispers from other worlds echoing, unable to fully discern what is being said...
A place where there are no rules, no laws of physics, where time does not flow...
Scattered across time and space...
Where you are close to everything, yet so far away...
Where you fall, but stand on nothing...

When you're in a place like this, the only thing you can do is reflect. Reflect on what could have been, and what was lost when you fell.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I remember running. Running away from my father's rage.

I was heading down the Waterfall ridge. It was always raining there. Mother said it was because the monsters wanted to remember the sound of rain, so they cast a spell to make it rain permanently in that area. I didn't understand why, because the rain was

I was soaked from head to toe, down from my light brown hair, my green and yellow-striped sweater, brown cargo shorts, and brown sneakers. My warm brown eyes were filled with tears.

I was close to reaching the end of the ridge, when I slipped in a puddle, and fell down.

"Well, that was quite the fall."

I looked up to find a skeleton kid standing just outside the rain, leaning against the wall. He was standing at about five feet, which compared to my four foot four, was a little intimidating. He was wearing a black button-down polo shirt with gray stripes, gray slacks, and black loafers.

In his hands was a multi-colored cube, where it's individual sides were rotated around. I've never seen one before, but it didn't look like anything the monsters would have made, so it must have come from the surface. This kid could take all of the matching color sides, scramble them in seconds, then spin them back into their matching colors.

His eyes... skeletons don't actually have eyes, just empty black sockets, with glowing white dots. Except for him, his left eye was drooped down, like it was melted somehow. There was a crack in his skull above that eye, and another crack below the other eye.

And he was looking straight at me, and it wasn't a friendly look.

"Now, what would someone like you be doing here?" he asked.

"I... I'm... sorry, I-" I tried to say.

"Sorry? About what?"

I tried to speak up, but I couldn't keep from sobbing.

"Perhaps you are sorry about what you've done to the monsters." he crouched down, and looked me straight in the eyes. "Isn't that right, human."

"I'm sorry!" I screamed, "I didn't want to do it! I didn't mean to kill him! I didn't want to kill my brother!"

The kid stood back, with a look of curiosity in his eyes. "So, you killed your brother. Who is he, might I ask?"

I just laid there in tears, trying to think of an answer, when I heard another voice calling. "Wingding! Wingding, where are you!"

Another skeleton ran into view. He was slightly taller than the kid, about five foot two. He wore a colorful-striped polo shirt, tan khakis, and brown sandals. Despite being barely taller than the kid, his voice sounded much older, giving me the impression of a middle-aged man. In his hand was a large umbrella.

When he saw us, he slowed down. His eyes locked onto me. "Wingding, who is this...?"

He scoffed. "A human. She said that she killed her brother. Just like humans to kill their own family."

The new skeleton walked up to me, then kneeled down. He took a good look at me, then smiled softly, lifting my chin. "Are you okay, young one?"

"I- I- no..." I managed to say.

"What happened. Why are you crying?"

I wiped the tears from my eyes. "I killed my brother. I didn't mean to- I... We had this and... I was supposed to... And I couldn't-" I sobbed.

"Who was you're brother?" the skeleton asked.

"He was... was a b-boss monster, and he..." I couldn't continue.

The new skeleton looked down. "A boss monster, you say? And you think you killed him? Did you know for sure, that this is what happened?"

I broke down crying again. Defeated, the skeleton just me a sad look, then sighed. "Alright child, come with me."

"Father," the child skeleton spoke. Wingding is what the older skeleton called him, right? This whole time he was standing there, watching us, and glaring at me. It was hard to believe that Wingding was the son of this older skeleton, when the father was only two inches taller than him. At the rate this kid was growing, he would tower over his father. I mean, monsters were weird, but this was a little hard to believe.

Wingding's father looked over. "Yes, Wingding?"

"You aren't really going to-"

"Yes, Wingding, WE are."

"But a human, especially one-"

"Wingding!" the father snapped back, "This is not up for discussion!"

I looked at Wingding. It was a strange name, Wingding. Normally, I wouldn't take it seriously, but after meeting him...

That's when I realized something. Very few monsters realized I was a human when they first met me. Granted, I haven't met a lot of monsters, but only a few would have known what a human looked like. But Wingding knew I was a human, and a girl at that. How did he know that?

I decided to ignore that for the time, and put my attention back to his father. "What are you going to do to me?"

He smiled. "I'm taking you to my home, so you can be safe."

"But why, I-"

"Because you're hurt and soaked, and need time to rest and recover." He helped me up. "I just realized that I'm being rude. I haven't introduced myself. My name is Semi, or Semi Serif in full. And, as you might have guessed, this is my son, Wingding 'Gaster' Serif."

Wingding only nodded, but he clearly wasn't happy with the situation.

"I-it's nice to meet you. My name... my name is Chara," I replied.

"Chara..." Semi replied. I was worried he might recognize the name. I didn't know what would happen then. "That's a nice name." He opened up his umbrella, and lifted it above us. Then he turned me around. "Our home in a valley down this way. You'll be safe there."

Seeing no other option, I followed along with Semi. Wingding followed behind. Semi offered him spot under the umbrella, as it was large enough for the three of us, but he declined. It seemed he really didn't like me.

I didn't know what was going to happen now. I could only hope that I would be alright.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: So, this originated as a project I started (an Undertale Tumblr ask blog kind of like "Ask Frisk and Company") with one of my sister's friends. But nothing ever came of that project and we stopped meeting (not that we ever met in person, we were just talking on Skype). At this point, I don't anything would come of the project, but I still liked the story I came up with, so I decided to write it a fanfic story here on DeviantArt, and eventually I put it on other sites as well, like this one.

My current plan is split this into series I'm calling "Books" (Because that is a technically correct term for stories, especially since their being written in Chapters). I have three Books planned. The first is Chara's backstory, and then will end with the lead up to the second Book. The second will be the main story, the tie into Undertale's base story. And the third will be the after-story, sort of a kind-of-never-ending string of random events that will chronicle how everyone is living after the main story.

If you want to see Chara and Gaster's OC Profiles, you can find them (and my other OC Profiles) on my DeviantArt, where I am known as "Cobalt-Gemini". These profiles are primarily them as adults, though.