Chapter 21: The Fall

"I want every checkup completed before we start. Come on, move it, people, we need this done in the next hour or two!"

Gaster was getting everyone ready for the first major test of the CORE. To be able to make a portal to the Surface... this is what we have been working towards this entire time. And finally, we were making the first major step to being able to actually do that.

I wasn't going to miss this, so I was in the CORE, alongside Gaster. It was risky, with all the extra monsters around, making everything was working properly, but as long I was with Gaster, I knew I should be okay. He usually gave orders to the other workers from a higher area, over an intercom, where he could see more of the CORE's interior, so I would be harder to see.

The two of us still hadn't gotten over what happened a few weeks ago. Gaster had told me that Asgore wouldn't be joining us for the test, as he was still recovering from the incident. To me, that was great. I didn't want to see him again.

I could hear the sounds of machinery moving, and people yelling orders to each other. I knew that Gaster had made the CORE to be able to transform its internal layout, as without it, it would take days, even weeks to reroute everything should it have needed it.

Gaster turned back to me. "Are you doing okay, Chara?"

"Yeah... I... just never thought I'd see the day. Soon, we can avoid all the killing."

"Yes. ...Chara, I wanted to apologize for the human Soul. I knew she meant a lot to you, even you don't understand why. I should've come and talked to you about it first."

"...I... It's okay. I overreacted. Right now, let's focus on stopping this from happening again."

"Of course. Oh, and Chara." Gaster came up, and gave me a hug. "Happy birthday!"

I smiled, and returned the hug. It wasn't something Gaster gave out often. "Thank you!"

At that point, Lizzie walked in. "Gaster, it's time. All checks have been finished. All they need is your final say."

Gaster released me and stepped back, smiling. "Very well. Let's get started."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

After Gaster had personally checked that every single internal part of the CORE (which took hours), he had everyone gather in a central open location of the CORE. Gaster stood on a bridge in front of all the CORE workers. I was standing right behind him, along with Lizzie, with about three of his other assistants lined up next to us.

"Today... we bear witness to the first step into a new future!" Gaster exclaimed to everyone present. "Today... we take the first step towards freedom! Towards hope! No longer shall we be trapped within this prison! Nor under the cycle of death that our king has perpetuated! To many of you, this is the first you have heard of this, so you are in for something special!"

He turned to me. "Shall we?"

I stepped forward, and called out, "Let the first test begin!"

There was loud cheering from the group, quickly followed by the shuffling of movement as they all dispersed towards to safe viewing areas, or to their important positions for those with necessary tasks in starting up the CORE.

Gaster, I, and the rest of us moved up to a private viewing platform. Shortly before we reached our position, we could hear the humming of machinery starting up, getting louder and louder as the CORE powered up for its true purpose.

As reached our perch, we could see many large mechanical arms, with large spheres on the ends, rising up from below the CORE, shifting into a position where they were pointing towards each other in an X formation.