Chapter 6: Sneaking into Gaster's Room

It's been a few weeks since me and Gaster started our lessons together. Gaster hadn't made it easier for me during my lessons, but I was starting to get a hang of his teaching methods. But I think he was starting catching on to that, and might have been planning to make it even harder for me, maybe even sneak in things that were not on my learning level.

It wasn't impatience, no, he never got frustrated with how long it took me to figure things out. I think he just hated being forced to spend time with me, and didn't see the point in trying to teach me.

When Gaster and Semi left for the day, I would either read or try out more recipes. Semi sometimes jokes that I might end up burning down the house, but I assure him I am very careful when I cook.

I was very reluctant to tell them about my... special abilities. For now, I felt it was best to keep that secret.

One day, I was in the living room, reading so I could stay on top of Gaster's lessons, Gaster and Semi came down talking about something. I didn't immediately catch on to what they were saying, but heard something about "practice".

"Hey," I called over, "sorry, I thought I heard something about 'practice'?"

"Oh, Chara, good morning," Semi replied, "yes, me and Gaster are heading over to the Clearing for his magic lessons."

"The Clearing?"

"Yes, it's a nearby-"

"Don't tell her about the Clearing, father. It's not something that is important for her to know."

"Wingding, please. It's fine. She can know if she wants."

"You're going to teach Gaster magic, right?" I asked.

Gaster made some of those motions with his hand. I have yet to figure out what they meant. I asked Semi about them, and he didn't seem to know either.

Semi dismissed this, and told me, "yes, this is for Wingding's magic. It very important for monsters to learn their subspecies' form of magic. For us, that's our bone magic, and a few other special, sometimes rare abilities. It's been a while since we've practiced his magic, actually."

"We haven't done this since you-" Gaster started, but Semi interrupted him.

"Since you started staying with us," he said. I knew what they were referring to, but for once, I was more concerned about what they were going to do. Practice magic. I considered maybe telling them my secret, but decided against it. They probably couldn't help me learn anymore, and I wasn't sure how Gaster would react.

Before I could decide whether or not I should tell them, Gaster said, "we should go. It's about time I continue my training." He then exited the house.

Semi sighed. "Don't worry about him, Chara. He's been waiting for this for a while. His dream, his ultimate goal, is to become a powerful monster wizard. Learning magic is very important to him."

I froze for a second. "What if he wants to use that magic to hurt me? Can you stop him at that point?"

"I... I haven't thought about that. But I can't stop him from reaching his goal. He's come too far to stop now. But don't worry, I think you can befriend him before that. Try... maybe try doing something he might like to see." Semi then left to follow Gaster.

Well, I've been trying to impress him this whole time, but what could I do that he would like?

I sat around for maybe half-an-hour, trying to think about what I could do. How was I even supposed to find out what he liked when he never opened up to me.

Unless...

I got up and ran to Gaster's room. I never dared to try and sneak into his room, even though I've had numerous chances to try. It wasn't something I liked doing, besides, I shared a room with Asriel before, so I wasn't used to hiding anything.

I didn't know how long Gaster and Semi would be gone, but considering how much Gaster seemed to want to practice magic, I figured to would be a while.

I twisted the doorknob, and slowly opened the door...

Gaster's room was all neat and tidy (which didn't surprise me, considering Gaster). There was a desk in the corner in front of me, a bed in the far corner, and few bookcases along the wall next to it.

I started by checking Gaster's desk. There were a couple books on it that I knew were the books he used for my lessons, a couple of papers with notes on them (I didn't bother checking them), and the colored cube Gaster was playing with when we first met (still didn't know what exactly it was, but Gaster rarely brought it out, so I never got the chance to act).

I looked in his drawers, and I found more notes, a set pens and pencils, and a journal. I would've looked inside, but decided it was probably best not to. I could find what I needed without having to look into his past. At least, that's what I hoped.

I moved over to the bookcase, and began looking through the books. A lot of the same that I saw an the coffee table. In fact, some of those same books had been returned to here, apparently.

I was beginning to think that I wouldn't find anything interesting, when I saw... "Basic Sign Language". I pulled out the book, and turned to the first few pages. It was about... talking, with hands. Making different gestures and motions to convey words and statements.

Suddenly it all made sense. All those motions Gaster made with his hands, he got it from here, a human sign language book. He was like... a man who spoke in hands.

At that moment, I decided to take the book. Hopefully Gaster wouldn't find out I took it. If I could learn how to speak in hands myself, I could...

I left Gaster's room, and went straight to my room, where I began studying the book and trying to memories the signs.

I spent the next couple hours doing this, until I heard a knock on my door. I quickly hid the book under my pillow, then said, "come in."

The door opened, and Gaster stepped through. "We're back, human. Did you enjoy your time alone."

I nodded.

"Well, father is going to prepare dinner now. He wanted me to tell you that. Not that I think you needed to know."

I remained quiet.

Gaster scoffed. "Well, if you're going not to answer-"

"Gaster," I interrupted.

"...Yes."

I put my hand on my chin, then moved away. The sign for "Thank You".

Gaster seemed to be taken aback by this, but he didn't say anything. He just stepped out, and closed the door.

I smiled. I think my little surprise just gave me some progress with becoming Gaster's friend. That was the happiest I had been in a long time.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: So now we know more about what Gaster wants to do in his life. And know I've explained his sign language as well, which I imagine was somewhat obvious to you guys.

I'll admit, if you remember what I told you about what this originally was (back in Chapter 1's description), this isn't how I planned to explain Chara's (and Gaster's) backstory, and trying to write it out as full chapters is not easy. This is coming off has very basic information to me that I feel needs to be explained, but it's very slow. I won't say I'm a great writer, and I defiantly not a fan of slow starts. I do have all the subjects of each chapter written down, and things will start to pick up in the next three or so chapters. So hang in there, we're almost there.