Chapter 9: Chara's Secret

It was a quiet day. I was practicing more sign language in the living room. Since Gaster found out I took his book and just gave it to me, I've been less concerned about Semi see me practice.

"Hey, Chara," Semi asked, walking into the room, "do you know where Wingding is?"

"I... no." I hadn't seen Gaster since I got up. Now that I think about it, it was strange. He didn't have school today, and unless he went with Semi to the Clearing, he would usually stay at home. Then again...

It's been a few weeks since Semi started teaching me how to control my magic, and giving me ideas on how to expand on it, and since then, Gaster had become increasingly distant from us.

"Hm..." Semi thought. "Maybe he's at the piano..."

I perked up. "Piano? There's a piano?"

"Yes, Gaster occasionally drops by it on the way home from school. Though it's close to the Waterfall community, so it's too dangerous for you-"

"Where is it?" I interrupted.

"Well, remember where we first found you?"

I shrunk down from that. It wasn't a good memory.

"Sorry, I didn't..." Semi sighed, "if you continue past that point, and take a right, there is an old piano. It's been there for a while, and the public likes to go there from time to time to try to play it. Why?"

"I... I like the piano... ...If Gaster is there, I'll go find him. I just want to..."

"Chara it's close to... well." Semi sighed. "I suppose it isn't too close. And it is hard to not know if monsters are there, if they're playing... Okay, just... be careful Chara. And remember to take an umbrella."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I was moving at a quick pace (not too fast, as I didn't want to get wet from the rain). It's been so long since I've played the piano. It was one of my favorite things to do, and I have begun to worry I'd never be able to do it again.

As I approached, I could hear the far off sound of the piano. Now out of the rain, I slowed down, lowered my umbrella, and peaked around the corner. The sound of the piano got louder, and I could see someone around the corner. Careful not to make a sound, I slowly approached, making sure that it wasn't any random monster.

Luckily it was just Gaster. He was playing a dark, yet simple tune. I become less tense, and returned to a brisk walk. "Hey Gaster, Semi was looking for you."

Gaster stopped playing, and turned his head towards me. As I approached, I noticed something odd. He hadn't moved his body, and yet his hands were on his lap. So how was he playing the piano?

I found the answer as I approached. There a hovering skeleton hand, detached from Gaster's body. That must have been what was playing the piano, while both of his normal hands were on his lap.

"Hey, Gaster, what is that?" I asked.

"Oh, it's exactly just what you think," he replied. "I'm playing the piano."

"But that... uh-"

"Oh, this hand... just some simple magic bone construction, made out in the shape of a skeleton hand. With some creative changes."

"What do you mean, 'creative changes'?"

"The palm. Normally, there a series of bones, extended from your individual fingers. But this, like the skeleton monsters, is more... solid."

He raised the magic hand, and I could see that the palm was a single wide bone with a circular hole in it, like what I've seen with all skeletons. I didn't know normal human skeletons were slightly different. Was it like that for the original revenants?