Chapter 12: Echo Flowers

"Chara, are you sure this is a good idea?" Semi asked. "Befriending some monsters, when you are-"

"They don't know I'm a human," I interrupted. "They think I'm a monster, just like them."

"What KIND of monster?"

"Homo-sapien."

"...What's a homo-sapien?"

"It's the scientific term for 'human', but as you've just proven with your question, it's not common knowledge in the Underground. It's a good mask to hide under, without needing to lie."

I had just gotten back from hanging out with Hapi and Pristina, and Semi was a little upset after Gaster had told him what I was doing.

"I just... I'm worried that this will go wrong," Semi said. "They might take you to the royal guard for a simple chat without asking you, or figure something is strange about you, or-"

"Semi, I know you're worried. I was too when they caught me. But, I've been down here for two years, heck, I've been in the Underground for four. And the only monsters I've ever really met are you two and the Dreemurrs... I..."

"Sorry, I didn't think they would be brought up, Chara," Semi apologized. "But I see your point. You can't just be cooped up in here all your life."

"Maybe we can get to the point where we can tell them the truth," Gaster replied. "It won't be a quick process, but if we build their trust, and we find that they'll keep our secret, then we can tell them Chara is human."

"They go to your school, right Wingding?" I asked. "Pristina is even in your class, correct?"

"Well I'm beyond their grade level, but I do have to take the homeroom class for my age, so yes, Pristina is in my class. I will be sure to speak to them at school tomorrow."

"Chara, do you have any more plans with them?" Semi asked.

"Yes, tomorrow, after they get off from school. They want to show me something," I replied.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

"I can't believe you've never seen the echo flowers," Hapi said.

"Well, I think I've seen a few when I first came to Waterfall, but after that... well, no. There aren't very many where I live in the area," I told them.

"Girl, you need to get out more," Pristina replied.

They brought me to a field full of tall, blue flowers. The Echo Flowers.

"Wow, they're beautiful," I said in awe.

"A perk of living in Waterfall," Pristina replied.

"And that's not the best part of these," Hapi said. She flew up to one of them, and whispered something into it. "Come, listen to this."

I walked up to the flower, and put my ear close to it, where I heard, "I have the best and most fabulous friends ever."

"Whoa! Is that your voice?" I asked.

"Yep! This is what makes echo flowers so special. They will repeat anything you say to them," Hapi replied.

"Like an echo!" Pristina added in.

"Of course!"

"Wow, that's so cool," I said. "Now I can see why Wingding thinks they're annoying."

"Wing- er, Gaster doesn't like them?" Pristina asked.

"Nope."

"I think I might now know why there aren't any around where you live," Hapi said, "your friend probably thinks they're weeds."