Chapter 2: Recent Memories

"Asriel, are you going to be okay?" I asked, very worried. We were in our bedroom, where I sat next to my sick brother's bed.

He was a boss monster, the most powerful kind of monster, and yet he still wasn't immune to getting poisoned.

For whatever reason, boss monsters were like humanoid goats, with white fur, droopy ears, small tails, and fangs. They usually also grew to be really tall, but Asriel was only twelve (which was two years older than me), just barely not old enough to get his growth spurt (currently standing at four foot eleven), or to grow his horns. He had yellow-gold eyes, and wore a green sweater with yellow stripes (similar to mine), blue short jeans. He was shoeless, like he and our parents always were.

Asriel coughed, then looked at me. "I don't know," he said weakly, "but... this is what we wanted to do right."

"But I-I changed my mind," I started crying, "I r-realized it wasn't worth it. Why... why did you do it?"

"We could be heroes. Free the monsters from the Underground. All you have to do is take my soul."

A human soul could persist presumably forever after death, and a monster could absorb the soul after that, becoming more powerful. But a monster soul wasn't as powerful as a human soul, so they would shatter upon death. However, a boss monster soul could last for at least a few seconds before shattering.

With the combined power of a monster soul and a human soul, we could pass through the Barrier that kept the monsters trapped in the Underground, and with seven human souls, we could break it. That is what our plan was, one of us eats poisonous flowers, dies, and then the other absorbs their soul, and leaves to get more souls to break the Barrier.

I was the one who was supposed to eat the flowers, but... after taking some time to think, I decided that I didn't want to lose what I already had. My new family, a happy life. Maybe it was selfish, but I loved my family, and didn't want to lose them. But, Asriel... who was convinced we could become the heroes of the Underground... he ate them instead.

And as such, he got sick.

Asriel's health continued to get worse. And I continued to get more and more worried about my brother. I stayed at his bedside while my parents tried their hardest to help him.

After a while, Asriel told me, "Chara, you were right..." he coughed. "I don't want to go... but I- I don't..."

I started crying after he said that. "I don't want you to go either. Asriel, pl-please..."

He grabbed my arm. "Chara, we have to do this. We don't have a choice now. We can't waste this chance."

"Asriel, no, please..."

He closed his eyes. "I-I'm sorry, Chara."

The next day... Asriel died.

I was next to his bed when it happened. I watched as he closed eyes for the last time, and then turn to dust right in front of me.

Only one thing remained was his soul, a white, upside-down heart, just like any other monster's soul. I was supposed to absorb it, but I couldn't bring myself to do it...

And then it shattered... It was too late.

Later in the day, me and my adoptive parents were in the throne room, standing in front of the throne. The two boss monsters were holding the dust of their son.

My mom, Toriel, was six feet tall with small horns and dark red eyes. She wore a long purple dress with white sleeves and the Delta Rune on the front, which was a winged circle with three triangles underneath (two on the sides pointing up, one below the middle pointing down).