Chapter 4: First Lessons

The next week was uneventful. The morning after Asgore's announcement, the king declared the day after would start a week for mourning for Asriel. No school, no work, no open shops. The day before was used so monsters could still get food and other necessities for the coming week.

Since I didn't have anything else to do, mourn is what I did, as well as reflect on what had happened. The more I did that, the more I began to hate Asgore. How could he really just cast me aside like that?

Semi spent all of his free time over the week on me, making sure that I was okay, despite what had happened. That and something I asked him for. I wanted to know more about Toriel, and where she might have gone. He searched for me, all the way down to Snowdin, along with some other monsters who wanted to try to find her too, unfortunately to no avail.

I didn't see Gaster much over the weekend. He spent most of his time in his room. The few times I did see him, over dinner and such, he did nothing but glare at me. He didn't even say a word. I don't know if he even cared about Asriel's death, but I don't think he did. I felt like that to him, it was really just a means to end, a reason I should die. I guess he hated me that much.

I still hadn't figured out why he gave up so easily when Semi stopped him from attacking me. Obeying your father is one thing, but I swore he gave up too easily for how tough he seemed to be.

Once the week was over, Semi and Gaster had to leave return to their daily lives and activities. Semi had to work and Gaster had to go to school.

I was sitting in the living, staring out of the window. The skeleton's house was secluded in the valley, with no other houses in sight, but it was still close to the Waterfall community. As such, I could hear the bustling sounds of monsters making their morning commute on the cliffs above.

Semi came down the stairs. He was wearing one of same colorful shirts, khakis, and sandals he'd been wearing all week (I just assumed that was his style), but now he was wearing an apron for some reason.

"Morning, Chara," Semi greeted. He then took a closer look at me. "You don't seem to be ready."

"Ready for what?" I asked.

"You know, sch-" then he stopped himself. "Oh, that's right. It would be a bad idea for you to head to school."

"And why would that be?" Gaster came down the stairs right behind his father. "Everyone needs to learn, right?" Gaster glared at me. I got the impression that he was making this point for a couple of reasons, none involving a simple education.

"Chara, have you ever been to the monster elementary school? Or any of the schools?" Semi asked.

"No," I replied. "I was home-schooled by Toriel. But by my experience, most monsters wouldn't even recognize that I am human."

"Well, even if that is true, and both the children and staff see you as any other monster, the schools are constantly visited by the Royal Guard, whether as guests, or just to check up on the school," Semi explained, "and with humans basically public enemy one now, it won't be long before the Guard are at least informed of what a human would look like. It's not safe for you, Chara."

"So you're saying the human should stay ignorant forever then," Gaster replied.

"No, that's not what I'm saying..." Semi turned to me, "how old are you, Chara?"

"I'm ten," I replied.

"Then you would be about at a... fourth-grade level, I'd assume?"

"...Um, yes, I think."

"Then I think I know what to do for education. Gaster is twelve, and should be in sixth grade, but he loves to learn and gain more knowledge, so spends all of his free time studying. He is actually about an entire grade or two ahead, and if he keeps this up, his teachers believe that he'll graduate potentially in four or five years, and he'd soon become a genius."