Chapter 3: The Talk

"What- what does Semi want to talk about, uh, Wingding, right?" I asked.

"Gaster," he exclaimed, "I prefer to go by Gaster. Only my father calls me Wingding, and that name... it isn't very intimidating, now is it?"

He wasn't wrong. Wingding, or Gaster, did seem like he'd want to seem intimidating, because he acted and WAS intimidating.

"How did you come up with that name?" I asked.

"...It was the name my mother wanted to give me," he replied.

"Oh, is she nice?"

He glared at me. "I never knew her. She died after giving birth to me."

"Oh... I'm sorry, didn't mean to..." That's when noticed he had something in his hands. It wasn't the cube this time, but a small, red notebook. A very familiar notebook...

"HEY, THAT'S MINE! Where did you get that!?" I yelled.

"Oh this, I found this in one of your pockets while you were sleeping," Gaster exclaimed. He opened up the notebook and flipped through the pages. "Doesn't seem that anything interesting written down."

"GIVE THAT BACK!" I got up, stormed up to Gaster, and took the notebook right out of his hands. "You can't just search through somebody's pockets while they're asleep! That's rude!"

I quickly looked through the pages of the book, trying to see if he ruined anything in there. Luckily, all the pages were fine. I then held the book to my chest before slipping it back into one of my lower cargo shorts pockets.

In the book, I had copied down some recipes I had made with Toriel when I helped her with cooking, including her famous butterscotch-cinnamon pie. It was something I treasured, and I kept it with me at all times.

I expected Wingding (sorry, Gaster) to be annoyed with me taking the book, considering the fact he didn't seem to like me that much. But instead, he smiled, then walked towards the door. "Come, my father is waiting."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I followed Gaster into the skeleton's living room, where Semi was standing, staring out of a window.

The room was cozy, with a couple of gray couches, and dark blue walls. The coffee table had a couple of books stacked on it.

Semi motioned for us to sit down. Once we did, he turned around and looked at me straight in the eyes. Gaster sat on the opposite couch, continuing to smile, which was quickly becoming unnerving.

Semi spoke up. "You must have been exhausted. You've been asleep for a whole day." He sighed, taking a couple of seconds to think about what to say next. "So your name is Chara. And you are a human that had a not just a monster, but a boss monster for a brother. Is that right?"

I nodded, though I wasn't sure how he knew that.

Semi sat down next to me. "I work in New Home as an assistant to the Royal Guard, helping out by getting their requests for food, cleaning out their spaces. It's a thankless job, oftentimes, but it pays well..." He stopped himself. "Sorry, I'm getting off-topic. While I was working, I was hearing rumors about Prince Asriel and the human the royal family adopted. Those rumors... were confirmed when Asgore called for a gathering of all the citizens of the city."

Semi took a deep breath. "Asgore confirmed that the prince had died. He wouldn't tell us how he died, only that the funeral was held privately. He had also decreed that we are now to bring any humans that are found in the Underground, so that their souls could be collected, and then soon, we could break the barrier, and take back what we lost when the humans imprisoned us here."