Chapter 18: The First Human

It is amazing how you can change in a single day. Where before, you completely despise something, but then you find one little part of that is different, and your views change... even if it's small.

As much as I hated Asgore for abandoning me as his family, I still hated humankind more. It didn't matter to me if I was a human myself, what they did to me... was unforgivable. My parent's abuse, the indifference of everybody else when I ran away. I wouldn't have cared when Asgore got his first human Soul, if that ever happened.

At least, that's what I thought. At first...

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

I was alone in the piano room. Just playing by myself. Gaster and Pristina were shopping in the Waterfall community, mostly so Gaster could keep an eye on anyone leaving towards my location. Hapi and Blooky... were probably enjoying time at home.

Gaster had told me about his offer from Asgore. This was a big deal for him, everything he could have ever wanted. But still, it would put me at risk. Maybe not a whole lot, but to work closely with the one guy I had to avoid to stay alive. It was a hard decision. I was glad Gaster told me... but I needed time to think about it. ...It's been three days since then.

This whole ordeal has been bugging me this entire time, so I thought, maybe playing the piano might clear my mind.

I was playing a happy, upbeat tune, humming to myself as I played, just alone in my thoughts. That's when I heard her voice.

"La, la la la, la. La, la la la, la..." a young female voice was singing along with the song I was playing. At least until I was startled by her singing, which caused me to stop playing.

She stopped singing as well. "Um... why did you stop playing?"

I took a deep breath, and started turning around, saying, "sorry, you just startled-" I stopped when I saw who was speaking.

A human, an actual human. Specifically, a young girl, maybe five years old, with blonde hair and aqua blue eyes. She was wearing a white and blue-striped shirt, jeans, and white sneakers. And when she was smiling, it was the brightest smile you could imagine.

"Are you okay?" She asked.

"I- I- sorry, I'm... fine. I'm fine." Truth was, I wasn't fine. I didn't think this would happen. I mean, I fell into the Underground, but what were the chances it would happen again? It's not like Mount Ebott was a popular place. Or, maybe it was. Did that change since I fell?

"Okay," the girl replied, with her big ol' smile. "I'm Alisa!"

"Oh, I'm..." Wait, I thought, should I tell her my name. I don't like humans. But... she's just a child.

There was something holding back any anger I might have had with her. She was young. Heck, she was three years younger than I was when I fell. Did she even know how horrible humankind was?

"...I'm Chara," I decided to tell her.

"Oh, are you like... hm, the Mad Hatter?" she asked.

"What?" I replied. I didn't know what she talking about. I wasn't even wearing a hat. I don't wear hats. My jacket had a hood, and I had an umbrella... and that's all I needed. And why "Mad"? Did she think I was angry, or insane?

"You know, I'm Alice, and you're the Mad Hatter!"

"Yes, you're Alisa, or Alice, whatever, but I am Chara. I don't even own a hat. What are you even talking about?"

"Uh, Alice in Wonderland. And... my name is like hers. So when I fell, I thought this had to my Wonderland! There was even a White Rabbit. But she called herself a goat, which is wrong!"