Chapter 17: The Proposal

It's been about two, maybe two and half years since Gaster, currently, eighteen years old (and I was sixteen, by the way), started college, and between the limited knowledge, as well as magic teaching the Underground could provide, and Gaster's knack for studying and learning, he had finally graduated.

We had decided to throw a party the day after Gaster received his degree in magic creation and research. Semi, Hapi, Blooky, Pristina, and I all prepared the event at my (well, Gaster's) place.

Gaster and Pristina, who have been dating for over two years now, were sitting together. I was talking with Blooky and Hapi about what our plans might be when we "regular monsters" graduated. I, of course, had no answer (because I was in hiding from Asgore), so I just talked about what I hoped Gaster might achieve in the future.

Oh yeah, I've stopped calling Gaster "Wingding". Well, I haven't completely, it was just Hapi and Pristina occasionally got confused or forgot that Wingding and Gaster were the same person, so they asked me to call him Gaster like they did. I still called him Wingding during private conversations, though, and Gaster may have given Pristina the okay to call him by his real name, because of how close they've gotten, though she shortened it to W.D. Gaster, which I think he liked. Always liked to be intimidating, didn't he?

Anyways, after a while, I decided to ask Gaster, "so, what are you planning to do now?"

"Hm, I think..." he put his hand to his chin. "I want to explore more about the soul. When you helped me with my blasters, it got me curious. About the true power of the soul, and its true nature. I want to learn more about it. To start, I think I'm going to look back at my first unique bone constructs. My..." Gaster tensed up a little, "extra hands."

I knew what he was talking about. That moment we first really talked to each other, learned more about each other. It started with Gaster threatening me. That was when he made those extra hands. Since then, he hasn't used them.

But it's been so long, I wasn't bothered by that. So I replied, "sounds like a good idea."

He smiled. "I was also considering looking into old magic. Magic that hasn't been practiced in centuries. Not since-"

Suddenly, there was a knock at the door. "Allow me," Semi said. Once he opened the door, he got a surprise. "Hello- I... uh... your majesty!"

That caught my attention. I turned to Semi, and he made nudging motions, which basically meant "hide".

I couldn't go to my room without crossing the front door, so I hid behind the couches. Pristina opened her mouth to say something, but Hapi shushed her, saying "Royal Guard, remember?" Pristina then gave a quiet "oh yeah", and didn't say anything more.

Gaster, however, got up and walked to the edge of vision from what you could see outside the door. He had summoned one of his blasters. I guess he was expecting a fight that might occur if I was found.

"Howdy, I'm looking for a 'Wingding Serif', or 'Gaster', as I have heard." I recognized that voice anywhere. King Asgore Dreemurr. My adopted father, or at least, he was.

"Why do you need to see my son," Semi asked.

"Oh, I just heard about how he excelled through school and college, and... I have a proposal for him. An opportunity."

"Well, I-"

"Father," Gaster interrupted. He dispelled his blaster, and walked into view. "King Dreemurr."

"Oh, please call me Asgore," he replied. "May I come in?"

Gaster looked over to where I was hiding, then back to Asgore. "I have friends over, right now. I wouldn't want the place to get crowded. May we take a walk. Keep this private."

"Oh, of course. I shouldn't intrude."

"Yes, and I like to get straight to business. ...Though, before you leave, would you like some quiche?"

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Asgore and Gaster took a path towards the edge of Waterfall by Snowdin. They were in an area where the "bridge seeds" grew. They both had a plate of quiche, though Asgore had long since finished his on the walk.

"So, Asgore," Gaster asked, "what would you like from me?"

"Oh, yes, sorry," Asgore replied. "So, you've made quite the accomplishment, Wing-"

"Call me Gaster. Only those I care about are allowed to call me 'Wingding'. Though, my girlfriend likes to call me 'W.D. Gaster', if that sounds better to you?"

"Gaster is fine. You must have a brilliant mind, Gaster. And I wanted to know if you would start a project."

"Hm, this way, I know a place we can rest." Gaster led Asgore down a thin platform along a wall and in the water, leading to a small alcove with a bench.

Once the two sat down, Asgore continued. "As you may know, the Underground is advancing farther and farther. With the technology that comes from the surface, we are learning so much in this regard."

"Yes, of course. Even I use it occasionally," Gaster replied. He had actually fixed up a pair of phones for both him and Chara. "What does this have to do with me. Don't you already have scientists fixing them up for you."

"Yes, but you... I believe you could solve a growing issue. You see, as technology continues to become part of everyday life, the citizens have begun to complain about powering it. The need for energy is growing, Gaster. And I don't think my current scientists can solve this issue by themselves."

"I see. So what you need... is a single massive generator, to power the entire Underground. And you want me to spearhead and lead this project."

"Yes, in fact, I wanted to ask if you would become my head scientist," Asgore replied.

Gaster set his quiche under the bench, and put his hands under this chin. This was a big opportunity. The head scientist. Asgore's personal royal scientist. That was quite the opportunity. This would give him the resources to study anything he wanted.

But then there was Chara to think about. This could bring her at risk of being revealed to Asgore or the Royal Guard. This was everything he could've ever wanted, but could he do it when it could threaten Chara...?

"I'll... need some time to think about this, my king, it is a difficult decision," Gaster told him.

"Ah, I see..." Asgore replied. He got up to leave.

"Give me two weeks. Two weeks to make my decision, and make some plans. Then I'll personally meet you at your castle."

"Okay. See you then, W.D. Gaster," the king told him, "and thank you for the quiche. It was delicious." Then he left.

Gaster sat there for another minute or two. "It was made by my close friend," Gaster replied to no one in particular. Then he got up and returned home, to tell Chara and his friends about Asgore's proposal.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: Time for the second to the last Chapter of this Act. And now, I have introduced Asgore. He is planned to appear a couple more times in this Book, but not too much. Also, I'm now setting up for Gaster's greatest project, which means we're reaching the tail end of this part of the story. And it feels so good to finally getting to the end of Chara's "backstory" (considering the original intent of this story). Just a couple more chapters to go.