Chapter 22: Frisk

II could only stare at this child as she said, well, hand-signed those words. I mean, this was crazy. I thought I'd be alone in the Void forever. But here she was, a young girl, a young HUMAN girl, who can use sign language, and then she uses it to say THAT.

The little eight-year-old girl had dark brown hair, deep blue eyes, and was wearing a blue and purple-striped sweater and blue short-jeans, almost like a reflection of what I used to wear (and still kind of do, I guess). She also had a purple backpack slung on her shoulders, and for some reason, was wearing a pink tutu over her jeans, and pink ballet shoes.

The girl, getting a little impatient, signed again, Mommy, is that really you?

"I-" tried to say, but then she dashes into me to hug me.

She holds on to me for a few seconds, before pulling back and signing, Mommy, I'm scared. They're monsters. Really mean monsters!

Taking a deep breath, I knelt down and put my hands on her shoulders to stop her. "Okay, can you hear me?"

She nodded.

"Yes, okay. Can you speak?"

She shook her head, then signed, I'm mute. You remember that, right, mommy?

Okay, so she was mute. She is unable to speak, so she has to use sign language to communicate. Good to know.

I take in a deep breath, thinking about what to do next. I then take my hands off her, and both say and sign (for her convenience), "Look, I'm sorry, but I'm not your mom. I mean, I've never even had kids, and while I am older than I look, how do I look-"

You look just like her! The kid signed. Look. She pulled her backpack off, and reached inside, pulling out an old photograph. She then handed it to me, so I could look at it.

It was a picture of the girl, maybe a little younger than she was now, who seemed to be sitting on the lap of an older woman, whom I guessed was her mother.

To my surprise, she did look a lot like me, except her hair was darker (and longer), her eyes were blue, and, though it was hard to tell, since the lower part of the characters was cut off, but the older woman also seemed to be taller than me

To my surprise, she did look a lot like me, except her hair was darker (and longer), her eyes were blue, and, though it was hard to tell, since the lower part of the characters was cut off, but the older woman also seemed to be taller than me... because of course, she is!

But she did look very similar to me, especially in the face. Perhaps it was hard for this girl to tell the difference between me and her. I could also see a lot of resemblance between her and the girl, so I figured I was right in my assumption of them being related.

I handed the photo to the girl, and told her, "I'm sorry, I know I look a lot like her, but I'm not her. I don't even know who YOU are."

The girl slipped the photo back in her bag, and then signed, but... you sign when you talk, and you have brown hair-

"Do I have blue eyes?" I interrupted.

She looked closely at me, and shook her head in response.