Chapter 25: Reset (Final Chapter)

Now that the fight with Undyne was over, and the calm had settled in, I had a chance to take it all in. Being back in the... real world, I supposed you'd call it. No that sounds kind of strange, somehow.

Nevertheless, it felt strange being here. It was so familiar, but I knew something had changed. What happened to Girard, the previous Captain? Who was Papyrus? Why was Gaster no longer the Royal Scientist?

Gaster led us down into the valley, towards his house. Frisk looked around in wonder.

"Enjoying seeing new places," I asked.

Frisk nodded in response.

"Well, you might like our home. It's not much, I imagine, but it's cozy."

Gaster scoffed at this.

I glared at him. "Is something wrong, Wingding?"

"Nothing," he replied. "Nothing you should concern yourself with."

That meant he was hiding something.

He sighed. "Chara, things have changed... since you were gone."

"Well, that seems pretty obvious. New Captain of the Royal Guard. And... what happened to your position as Royal Scientist? Also, who-"

"What I mean is..." Gaster interrupted, "some of those you knew... they aren't around anymore. Some..." he shook his head. "As for your question, I quit when the CORE was finished. And I abandoned our original plans. It's simply a generator now, powering the Underground.

"Wait, why?"

"When I lost you... I knew the project was a mistake. It cost me much." He stopped and turned to me. "Whatever happened to you, Chara... somehow..."

"Yes, Gaster?" I said, switching to back to his other name.

"It was like you ceased to exist. In fact, I think you did. No one remembered who you were after you fell. Not my father, not your friends, not even the king. Somehow, I was the only one who did."

I took this all in. No one remembers who I am. Not even Asgore? Then... he knew why Asriel died... how does he... he could he explain...

"Chara," Gaster said, snapping me back into reality (figuratively). "What happened to you, anyway?"

"...I..." I started, back what do I say. "I fell into the area between dimensions. The empty space between entire worlds, universes. I suppose you'd call it... the Void."

"How, that doesn't make sense."

"Spatial manipulation, I guess. That's what we were working on."

"...So I was right."

"You really abandoned the original CORE project."

"Yes... the cost wasn't worth it. Come, we're close."

The old house came into view, a two-story building with a tool shed on the side. It has seen some wear over the years (at least I assumed it was years), but was still in good enough condition. The blue paint was faded and peeling off, though.

Gaster led us inside. I could see the familiar dark blue walls and gray coaches of the living room.

"Chara, would you like some tea?"

"...Um, yeah sure. Frisk do you want some."

Frisk was hiding behind me, but she nodded. Gaster's expression changed to one of annoyance, but he said, "very well. I have some Golden Flower Tea. I know it's your favorite, Chara."

"Yeah... Hey, Gaster, I..." I tried to think of what to say. "How long has it been?"

Gaster's gaze went black, the white dots in his eyes disappearing. "Two decades. Chara, it's been twenty years since you fell."