Chapter 14: Scare Bet

It's been another two years... Wingding, now sixteen years old, had advanced beyond his junior high and high school education. He had graduated early due to his excess study and high marks, and was now looking into college and career paths.

Pristina and Happi continued to hang out with me. I had gotten better at dancing, and I continued trying out many new songs on the piano, all different styles of music. Wingding had joined in the fun after learning the acoustic guitar as I had suggested, though of course, we kind of had to force him to.

As for just me myself... I was a little frustrated with my body. I wasn't growing too much, despite being fourteen, leveling out at about four-foot-ten. Wingding said I must have had a growth deficiency, and been born to be naturally short.

I hated being short, but there wasn't much I could be about it. I had to live off of magic food, which could provide nutrients to well, keep me alive and "grow", but not enough if I wasn't going to grow at a steady rate naturally.

Pristina enjoyed having a friend that was short like her, but I really grew to dislike being called short, so Wingding convinced her to stop referring to me as such. (Though, of course, Gaster was still growing, he was already pretty tall.)

There was still no update for Asgore's decree, whether or not I was the first soul. It was still all rumors.

Anyway, today was an interesting day for me. I'll let them tell you about it though...

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Gaster was visiting the snail farm again. He was speaking with Napstablook, when Hapstablook and Pristina arrived.

"Hey, Gaster," Pristina called out. "I thought I heard you over here."

"Pristina, Hapstablook, how are you?" Gaster replied. "I thought you would have gone to see Chara by now."

"Yeah, but we wanted to say hi."

"So, Gaster, there's something I was wondering about Chara," Hapstablook said.

"...What?" Gaster asked, confused. Couldn't she ask Chara herself?

"We were talking things we like and don't like, and Chara mentioned something about being scared. But she cut herself off, and refused to explain. I was wondering, do you know what she's scared of?"

"Hapstablook, I don't know," Gaster said. "I've never... she doesn't like talking about her past much."

"Oh, what, about her parents getting in trouble with the royal guard, or her brother... oh, you know. She told us all about that."

Because she was telling you an altered story from the real truth, Gaster thought. And I was referring to before that. ...Not that it matters, you don't know the truth about Chara anyway.

"...Gaster?" Pristina called out. Gaster must've been in thought for too long, because his silence seems to have worried her a bit.

"Sorry, I was- Anyway, Hapstablook, to answer your question, I know Chara is nervous around knives, but that's about all I know. And she isn't really afraid of them, as she can use them for her cooking just fine."

"Hm..." Hapstablook closed her eyes for a second, before suddenly bursting out, "I know! Let's have a scare bet!"

"A what?" Gaster asked.

"It's an old family tradition we used to do in the ghost family. Ghosts aren't easily scared, so we would try to take turns trying to scare one of our family members. Each of us have to try to scare a different way to find out what they were afraid of. We each get one try, and if we fail, they win."