Chapter 20: The Incident

Over a year had passed since speaking with Girard. Gaster, now 22, had run out of space in the lab provided, so Gaster commissioned to have more lab built deep under Hotland. It even was planned to have a second exit leading into the CORE. Since then, for the past few years, Gaster has been performing experiment after experiment on the side while working on the CORE. ...Or visiting his wife.

Yes, Gaster had recently married Pristina. She had succeeded in romancing him. Though, she still was close friends with me.

Anyways, Gaster says within a few weeks we may be able to start the first major tests to the CORE's teleportation functions. The Surface would soon be in reach. And good timing too, as this first test would happen around my 20th birthday.

I was talking with Gaster about our plans for the coming test, what we would need to do for that. Gaster had changed his preferred outfit to be more fitting for his new job, a gray long coat over a white-collar shirt and black pants, with black loathers. More sophisticated, and more mature. Just what he needed, and wanted.

"It is important that we check all of the stabilizers, or else the CORE-" Gaster was explaining to me, before we were interrupted by one of his assistants, who was running up to us.

I wasn't too worried about another monster seeing me. I usually wore my hood to keep my face hidden while inside Gaster's lab or the CORE, so monsters couldn't see my face very well, unless I looked straight at them, and even then, Gaster assured me that none of his assistants knew what a human looked like, and only his assistants were allowed to speak with him outside of construction time.

This assistant was a small lizard monster with no arms, wearing a white lab coat. Her name, Lizzie. I really felt understood this monster, because like me, she was much smaller than her actual age. It might have been a monster thing for her, but still, it frustrated us both. I think it might have been part of the reason Gaster choose her as an assistant.

"Doctor Gaster," Lizzie panted, "Asgore has delivered a message."

"Yes," Gaster replied, "tell me."

"He has accepted your request to harvest the human Soul for... whatever you needed it for. He just wanted to remind you to try not to destroy it. It's the only one we have."

Gaster froze for a second, before telling Lizzie, "yes. Thank you. Now, I feel I must to talk to-"

"Wingding," I interrupted. "What about the human Soul?" As time has gone on, me using Gaster's real name in public meant that I had something I had to tell him, and that it was serious.

"Please, return to your duties, Lizzie. I must talk to Chara alone," Gaster told her.

"O-okay," Lizzie replied. She turned to me, and said, "good to see you, Chara," before running off.

I turned to Gaster. "You're going to harvest the human Soul. Alisa's Soul!"

"Chara, listen," Gaster exclaimed, "it's been three, almost four years since Alisa... since her Soul was taken. She's not coming back. And her soul still has its uses. I've been studying-"

"NO!" I interrupted him. "How could you do this! She... she is still in there. The Soul is the culmination of everything you are, right? You preserved her Soul, so she is still alive, in spirit, at least. And you're going to experiment on her!"

"Chara, I-"

Before he could say anything, I walked away. Alisa was innocent, she didn't deserve this. Why would he do this? Doesn't he care?

As I left, I didn't see Gaster still standing there, alone. He took a deep breath, and then an angry grunt, he punched the wall.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----