Chapter 7: Magic Surge

For the next month, I secretly practiced my sign language when Gaster and Semi were not around. Eventually, I got to the point where I could understand what Gaster was saying, and well... now I knew why he always liked using sign language.

He didn't say nice things with it (even ruder than what he says about me), and since we didn't know what it meant, it was kept private. But now I knew what he was saying, and he knew that I knew. So, it wasn't so private anymore. I chose to never comment on it, but it clearly frustrated him.

I would only use sign language myself when Semi wasn't around, so he didn't know I knew what Gaster was saying. Gaster never even once asked how I was learning his secret language, but I suspected he had an idea. He must have figured out at this point that one of his books was missing.

I was beginning to worry about this plan. Gaster seemed to be less interested in my sign language, and more annoyed and angry. I wasn't sure if this would help me become friends with him.

Then came along that one day... Semi had just gotten me and Gaster some chocolate bars as a treat for us. It came as a surprise to him to find out how much I loved chocolate, as he just picked them up on a whim, and had to keep me from also grabbing the second meant for Gaster.

I was heading for my room with my gift, I opened my door, and... there was Gaster.

He was sitting on my bed, reading something. When I took a closer look, I realized that it was the sign language book I stole.

"Uh, hey... Gaster, I-" I said meekly.

"You're here," Gaster interrupted. He closed the book and put it on my bed. "I see you found my book. I was wondering where it was. Though, of course, it does explain your... sudden knowledge of my secret language."

"Gaster, please, I'm sorry I stole-"

"Stop. I just came here to say... that I'm impressed."

I just stood there, confused. "What...?"

"I figured you might try to sneak into my room at some point, but I was beginning to think you didn't have the guts."

"I... I just-"

"I don't know why you were in there, but you seemed to have decided to try learning my secret language. And you've done quite well without my assistance."

"Um, thanks, I... wanted to impress you."

Gaster smiled. "Well then, you have a lot to learn. However, I can't let you simply keep the book so easily. So I have a challenge."

"Wait, what kind of challenge?" I asked.

Gaster pulled something out of his pocket. It was his colored cube. "You want to test your hands, right? Solve this by the end of the day, and I'll let you keep the book."

"What... how... I don't even know what it is."

"You've seen this before, haven't you. It's called a Rubix Cube, according to the info I've found on it. It's basically a puzzle, where you have spin the different pieces to make all sides of the cube match color." He took the cube, and quickly scrambled all of the sides. It was so fast, I couldn't even keep track of which parts were spun, nor in what order. He then handed the cube to me. "Now try it."

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

After hours of trying to solve the cube, all I've done is make it worse. I was determined to finish it but I couldn't get anywhere.

"You're missing the trick to it, human," Gaster said.

"I know, I know. Just please-"

"I knew you couldn't figure it out. There's a simple trick to it."

I threw the cube at him. He simply dodged it. "Well, that wasn't very nice," he replied.

"You know what, I'm tired of how you make everything hard for me!" I yelled. "Do you know how hard I try! How hard I've tried being friends with you! And you just keep making it harder and harder!"

I was so angry, I didn't realize that my hands had started flaming. I swiped my hand in front of me, and by the time I realized what I just did... a wave of fire was flying towards Gaster.

Luckily, Gaster was quick, and summoned a wall of bones, which managed to keep the flames from touching him.

"Sorry, sorry! I- I didn't- I thought I-" I stumbled on my words as I dispelled the fire on my hands.

Gaster dispelled his own magic, and got up. "Magic."

I stopped and stood their meekly. What was he going to think?

Gaster was quiet for a moment, then said, "how?"

"I- I- My mom... she showed me..."

Suddenly, Semi burst into the room. "What's going on! I heard yelling and some loud sounds! Is everyone okay!"

"Yes," Gaster responded quickly, "We're fine. Just a small mishap." He then grabbed his cube and the book, walked over to me, and then handed me the book. "You keep this."

"What-" I replied.

Gaster then started leaving the room, and told Semi, "Father, tomorrow, when we go for magic training, I want the human to come with us."

Semi looked at Gaster curiously. "Why the change of heart? I thought you didn't want her to be a part of our magic lessons."

Gaster simply replied, "Because I want to see more of the human's magic," and then he left.

Semi turned to me, confused. "What does he mean by 'the human's magic?'"

"I- I just want to be alone right now," I told him.

"Oh, I... see. Alright then." Semi then exited the room and closed the door.

I clutched Gaster's book and sat down on the floor, trying to calm myself down from what just happened.

----- ----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Author's Note: Short chapter this time, I wasn't entirely sure how to flesh this one out. This one involves a that mysterious cube form Chapter 1, which, if it wasn't already obvious, was a Rubix Cube (which my dad says that he has a whole book on solving, which... what? How?). I think I had Gaster use one because he is the "man who speaks in hands", it made sense to me that like to test... well, his hands. And so, the Rubix Cube came to mind.

But more importantly, Chara's magic has been revealed, so now it's time to see where this goes. I am bad at descriptions.