~4~

It was around 11 pm as we walked down the empty streets. I stretched my arms to release the tension in my muscle, I have never felt this mentally and physically drained, not even when I fought those jerks but playing with Minho tires you out on a whole new level.

Minho held his backpack straps tightly as he hopped up and down, taking small strides and facing me with an ear to ear grin. "It was SO much fun today." He exclaimed hopping on his feet as he walked "It's been really long since I played with someone." 

And it's been so long since someone made me this tired.

"Didn't you have friends back in the US to play with?" I asked as I shoved my hands in my pockets. He stopped hopping and looked at me with a smile that looked sadder than happy "I never really had friends." Guilt washed over me, I guess it was too personal to ask.

"Ah that's fine, I've never had any friends either other than Kai. I guess it was because they took me as a bad influence or they were scared of me." Minho looked at me "But don't worry I'm not that scary to nice people." I chuckled, making him smile too as his gaze fell on the concrete road. 

"I never got a chance to make friends because I was either busy changing schools or focusing on being a topper." He said still glancing on the muddy road. I honestly did not know how to respond to that and to carry this conversation so I went along with the question I was most curious about even though the answer was evident "Was it that important to get good grades for you?"

"Not for me but for my parents but now they don't pay much attention to me since they have more pushing issues to focus on"

I found the darkness strange. Living in the heart of a city, I had grown used to the warm, orange glow of street lamps on the road. In fact, I could hear the sound of the lights flickering on the street but tonight it was darker than usual and for a strange reason it felt peaceful. It hid my flaws, my imperfections, the scars burned onto my flesh, the stabs of knives left behind. I looked up at the sky and it was filled with stars like white paint drops scattered across the black canvas with no trace of clouds. 

My glance fell on Minho as I noticed him gazing at the sky as well "It's rare to see a starry night in the city." I shrugged "I guess the stars are bold enough to show themselves tonight."

We chatted our way towards our houses since Minho was stubborn enough on dropping me back home since he knew I lived in the shady area of Seoul as he wanted to protect his younger friend. It made me chuckle but deep down I don't want to show the real me just yet, or maybe, never if possible.

Today was a peaceful day with no troubles and I guess, I found an acquaintance who's way too aggressive while playing video games but is also a nerd who seems like a nice guy. I mean new friends came along about as often as lottery wins for me because I could protect them and give them the wrong attention that they wanted. But in the end, I burn through them just as fast. One moment we were joined at the hip and the next they vanished from my life, taking every precaution to avoid accidental contact.

But there was always a reason why that happened.

As we took a left to the lane that took us to my colony, I heard a whistle. I ignored it, of course, I'm used to those jackasses cat-calling girls, walking the street this late at night but I could feel Minho get a bit tensed but that's understandable since he's not used to all this. 

"It's okay it's nothing much. Relax." I said calmly walking and I felt Minho fiddling with his backpack strap "Yeah, I know. Those jerks piss me off so much." He said trying to sound all confident and not scared. That's cute. 

Shortly, I felt someone or maybe a group of people following us but that could just be me being paranoid at midnight, walking the street with a boy who clearly cannot protect himself, but unfortunately, it wasn't just paranoia.