twenty-one; funk

— this fic really doesn't get good until season two IM SORRRYYY 🥺

Hearing that there was an emergency in the auditorium set off alarm bells in Winona's mind. Was there a fire? Did someone die? She rushed to the auditorium, Artie wheeling close behind. They bursted through the doors after everyone else, shocked to see Jesse standing on the stage. With Vocal Adrenaline.

"What the hell is this?" Winona inquired, a few of her peers heads turning to her, before looking back at the stage.

"What are you doing up there with them?" Rachel asked as if it wasn't obvious, pouting.

"I've transferred back to Carmel High, Rachel. I'm sorry that it's come to this, but you guys were awful to me. You never accepted me, you never listened to my clearly superior ideas," Jesse explained, smirking cockily at them.

"Why are you here in our auditorium?"

"The blogs and the chat rooms say that we're finished, and that you guys are ripe to topple us," He explained, "We just wanted to show you a something we came up with a few days ago to see if you agree with that assessment."

As the bass line of Another One Bites the Dust started, Winona took a deep breath, trying to process what was happening. She couldn't believe he would do this.

Well, she could, but she didn't want to. She seriously thought he was better than to betray her trust.

By the time the song ended, the New Directions' morale was low.

"Thanks for letting us borrow your auditorium, guys. It's quaint," The girl next to Jesse remarked as the New Directions filed out of the auditorium. Winona, though, she marched up to the stage, Finn watching at the door. As Jesse headed towards the backstage exit, Winona caught his hand and yanked him around so he was facing her.

"Watts—"

"No. Do not 'Watts' me right now. How could you do this to us? To me?"

"It's tradition." She noticed how he spoke so softly when he was just talking to her, unlike his usual cold hard tone, "it's just to put the competition in a funk."

"Dude, that's messed up," Finn remarked, joining the pair on the stage. He put his hand on Winona's shoulder comfortingly.

"Whatever," Jesse scoffed, tugging his arm from Winona's grip and heading for the exit with the rest of his team, "By the way, Green Giant, better watch your girlfriend here. I must say, she's an excellent kisser—"

Winona gasped, "What?"

"—good use of tongue." Jesse finished

Winona's heart sank and her expression was one of slight disgust. The secret's out.

Jesse was gone, and Finn was looking down at Winona with an extremely serious expression.

"Winnie? This is supposed to be the part where you tell me he's lying."

"Finn—"

"You made out with him? The enemy? While he had a girlfriend?"

Winona couldn't lie, shrugging and nodding sheepishly.

"I should go."

Without another word, Finn exited, staring at the floor as he left her alone in the auditorium.

( — )

After school, Winona didn't hesitate to go to Jesse's house. She was going to give him a piece of her mind, and not hold back just because she missed him anymore. This time, there was no pacing in front of his house, or attempted knocking. She pushed open the door, clearly angry.